What you need to know
- A new Microsoft Edge build is now available to Dev channel testers.
- This build packs a number of new features, but the addition of highlights for PDF documents is probably the most notable.
- This release is available now as Dev build 81.0.416.3.
Microsoft is out with another weekly Edge Dev channel release, bringing a round of new features, fixes, and improvements to the table. This update comes in at build number 81.0.416.3, and one of its biggest additions is related to PDFs: You can now highlight PDF documents in Edge.
Apart from that, there are also tweaks to Immersive Reader, the option to duplicate favorites, and more options in the settings menu. Here's a full look at what's new, fixed, and improved in the latest Microsoft Edge Dev channel release.
- Added blue color to the account button in InPrivate windows as suggested by user feedback.
- Added a tool on the Favorites management page to remove duplicate favorites.
- Enabled Collections sync for all channels that currently have Collections available.
- Added the ability to highlight text in PDFs.
- Added support for web-optimized PDFs that download one page at a time as they're viewed.
- Added a feature to Immersive Reader to focus on only one or a few lines at a time.
- Added a dialog to inform users when an extension is disabled because it has the ability to change settings (new tab page, search provider, etc.)
- Added a message when a user tries to use IE mode and Internet Explorer isn't installed.
- Added support for syncing the "Sign in automatically" setting under edge://settings/passwords.
- Added an option in edge://settings/profiles/multiProfileSettings to choose a default profile to use when opening links in external applications.
- Added a management policy controlling the ability to import Top Sites from another browser.
- Added a management policy controlling the ability to import Extensions from another browser.
- Added a management policy controlling the ability to import Cookies from another browser.
- Added a page to Settings to help users download Edge mobile.
- Fixed an issue where saving a PDF sometimes crashes the tab.
- Fixed an issue where watching encrypted video from sites like Netflix sometimes causes the device to freeze. Note that this issue is actually fixed by updating to the latest video drivers, so the Edge fix for this is to avoid the issue by degrading video playback on devices with old drivers.
- Fixed some issues where signing into the browser fails, or succeeds but doesn't allow for sync.
- Fixed a crash on browser shutdown for users of Family Safety.
- Fixed a browser crash during the First Run Experience.
- Fixed an issue where text on a webpage would occasionally appear corrupted.
- Fixed an issue where the "Move to new window" tab context menu entry contains a gibberish string.
- Fixed an issue where the Jumplist is missing or has incorrect entries.
- Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to start Read Aloud isn't shown in menus.
- Fixed an issue where changing settings on the New Tab Page sometimes results in the settings not getting applied to subsequent new tabs until the browser is restarted.
- Fixed an issue where IE mode can't be used and gives a message that Internet Explorer isn't installed even though it is.
- Fixed an issue where a message that a new Edge window can't be opened because Edge is currently running with administrator privileges is unexpectedly seen.
- Fixed an issue where dropping an extension file or folder onto the Extensions page when Developer Mode is enabled doesn't install the extension.
- Fixed an issue where the UI to switch profiles when opening a link has invisible text in Dark Theme.
- Fixed an issue where some images weren't loading in Immersive Reader.
- Fixed an issue where new profiles sometimes show the option to sign into the browser even though sign in is disabled via management policy.
- Fixed an issue where toggling certain website permission settings doesn't update the UI.
- Fixed an issue where certain DRM-protected video only shows a black screen on HDR-capable devices.
- Fixed an issue where creating a new Collection or viewing a Collection appears to rename all existing Collections to "Collections".
- Fixed an issue where dragging a link into a Collection doesn't properly add the item.
- Fixed an issue where re-ordering items in a Collection using the keyboard doesn't scroll the pane as the item is moved beyond the current window size.
- Permanently disabled Flash on ARM64 devices.
For more on this release, including a look at known issues, you can check out Microsoft's full release notes (opens in new tab). You can download the Microsoft Edge Dev channel, along with the other testing channels, at the Edge Insider site. The stable channel is also available to download (opens in new tab).
How about inking
I'm still amazed at how adding single features to pdf annotation of documents in Edge is a thing. Microsoft has a complete pdf annotation and inking api in HTML-Classic-"old"-Edge for years. Just over- interesting to me how it's possible that a wheel is being seemingly being reinvented again, compared to expectations of what we already have today that works.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.