The notion that Windows Phone should do landscape on the Start screen is hardly new. In fact, requests for it go back years from mostly the enthusiast crowd.
Yesterday, Microsoft's Gabriel Aul made a remark to a user request about landscape mode for the Start screen in Windows 10 Mobile. Aul responded with the default answer, which is if you want it, vote for it.
Personally, I find the hubbub about this issue to be funny. The reason is Windows 10 Mobile is very much like a democracy. If you want a feature, go to User Voice and make a suggestion. Alternatively, if the suggestion already exists, vote for it.
When was the first request for landscape mode on the Start screen? November 03, 2011.
The ability for Windows 10 Mobile and User Voice to support landscape has always been there. Aul reminding people of this is not news. Although it does reflect that continued indifference from users in the Internet age: it is easier to complain on Twitter rather than to take the time to effect real change.
Should Windows Central cherry pick ideas and highlight them like we are doing today? This approach seems a bit unfair akin to swaying an election. Our voice should not be more important than yours. Having said that, this is a great time to remind you that you have influence at Microsoft but only if you take the time to exercise it.
So here it is, your reminder. Maybe we'll make it a weekly thing.
We have had a topic page for all of Microsoft's consumer UserVoice boards for some time, but here they are again in case you are new to all of this:
Official Microsoft User Voice forums
- Bing Listens UserVoice binglistens.uservoice.com
- Microsoft Health & Band UserVoice microsofthealth.uservoice.com
- Office 365 UserVoice office365.uservoice.com
- Beta apps for Lumia – lumiabetaapps.uservoice.com
- Cortana UserVoice – cortana.uservoice.com
- Xbox UserVoice – xbox.uservoice.com
- Windows Phone UserVoice – windowsphone.uservoice.com
- Xbox Music UserVoice – xboxmusic.uservoice.com
- Xbox Video UserVoice – xboxvideo.uservoice.com
- Windows Phone Facebook UserVoice – wpfacebook.uservoice.com
- WPDev UserVoice – wpdev.uservoice.com
- Remote Desktop UserVoice — remotedesktop.uservoice.com
- Visual Studio UserVoice – visualstudio.uservoice.com
This voting thing is not crazy stuff folks. If you want a feature, speak up. Share with others on social networks, or in our forums. Just don't act like there is nothing you can do.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Daniel Rubino is the Editor-in-chief of Windows Central. He is also the head reviewer, podcast co-host, and analyst. He has been covering Microsoft since 2007, when this site was called WMExperts (and later Windows Phone Central). His interests include Windows, laptops, next-gen computing, and watches. He has been reviewing laptops since 2015 and is particularly fond of 2-in-1 convertibles, ARM processors, new form factors, and thin-and-light PCs. Before all this tech stuff, he worked on a Ph.D. in linguistics, watched people sleep (for medical purposes!), and ran the projectors at movie theaters because it was fun.