Windows 10 10586.420 cumulative update available for PC and Mobile
Microsoft has thrown the switch on build 10586.420 for the Release Preview ring users and Production. This update is a jump from the previous 10586.318 released a few weeks ago. The update is available to those on PC and Mobile, who are part of the Release Preview Ring as well as Production (non-Insiders).
Build 10586.420 is a cumulative update and as such does not bring new features, but instead focuses on stability, bug fixes and general improvements to the user experience.
The update is listed as KB3163018 for PC under Windows Update. Microsoft has now listed the changes for this release.
10586.420 Fixes and Improvements
- Improved reliability of Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Cortana, audio playback, audio playback in Groove Music app, Maps app, Miracast, and Windows Explorer.
- Fixed issue with balloon tip notifications always appearing in the upper left side of the screen.
- Fixed issue that caused VPN to not work properly when switching between different network interfaces (for example, switching between Wi-Fi and cellular).
- Improved Narrator's ability to read bulleted lists, hyperlinks, and image information.
- Fixed issue in location that caused navigation apps to lag behind user's actual location.
- Improved performance of loading webpages in Internet Explorer 11 when roaming user profiles are used.
- Fixed issue that caused phones to stop ringing from an incoming call, if interrupted by an SMS.
- Fixed issue that caused some phones to be unable to re-add a primary Microsoft account without resetting after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1.
- Fixed additional issues with Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, Bluetooth, Cortana, Wi-Fi, Windows Camera app, revised daylight saving time, USB, TPM, Graphics, Group Policy, downloading music or movies purchased through the Windows Store, Network Diagnostics and Windows Explorer.
- Fixed security issues with Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Server Message Block (SMB) Server, Microsoft Graphics Component, Group Policy, DNS Server, Windows Diagnostic Hub, Kernel mode drivers, Microsoft Windows PDF, Windows Structured Query, Adobe Flash Player, JScript and VBScript, and Web Proxy Autodiscovery Protocol (WPAD).
You can grab the update by going to Settings > Update & security >Windows/Phone update > Check for updates.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Daniel Rubino is the Editor-in-chief of Windows Central, head reviewer, podcast co-host, and analyst. He has been covering Microsoft since 2007 when this site was called WMExperts (and later Windows Phone Central). His interests include Windows, laptops, next-gen computing, and for some reason, watches. Before all this tech stuff, he worked on a Ph.D. in linguistics, watched people sleep (for medical purposes!), and ran the projectors at movie theaters because it was fun.