What you need to know
- Windows 10 build 19645 is rolling out now for Fast ring Insiders.
- This build brings a couple of new features and a handful of fixes.
- Fast ring Insiders can download build 19645 now via Windows Update.
Windows Insiders on the Fast ring are being treated to another new Windows 10 preview build today. The latest release comes in as build numbers 19645, and it brings with it just a couple of new features. Joining those new features, however, are several fixes and improvements.
In addition to today's build, Microsoft also notes that media controls in the Your Phone app are now rolling out to the public. This means you'll be able to control any media playing from your Android phone when you're connected to your PC through the Your Phone app.
Here's a full look at what's new, fixed, and improved in Windows 10 build 19645:
- We changed the servicing model for the Linux kernel inside of Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 distributions. This build includes this change to remove the Linux kernel from the Windows image, and instead have it be serviced via Microsoft Update, the same way that 3rd party drivers (like graphics, or touchpad drivers) are installed and updated on your machine today. For full details please read this blog post on the Windows Command Line blog (opens in new tab) and for information about the kernel version please view the kernel docs page here (opens in new tab).
- Support for Nested Virtualization on AMD processors is now available. Being an early release we recommend you read this blog post (opens in new tab) for details on what platforms currently work as well as how to enable the feature.
- We've fixed an issue where some devices booting from eMMC storage bugchecked when resuming from hibernate.
- We fixed multiple Japanese and Chinese IME issues that impacted IME mode switching within applications and Windows notification area.
- We've fixed an issue where taskbar preview thumbnails weren't rendering consistently (showing a blank area).
- We fixed an issue resulting in the handwriting input panel not appearing in certain text fields after being tapped with a pen.
- We fixed an issue where resizing a snapped application in tablet mode would minimize the app to the taskbar instead of adjusting the app size.
- We fixed an issue where Windows Hello Setup would crash if facial recognition was already set up and you chose the Improve Recognition button.
- We fixed an issue for some users where your PC wouldn't recognize it when you inserted a smart card (event log showing error 621).
- We're looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- We're working on fixing an issue for a future Insider Preview build where in Settings > Privacy, the Documents and Downloads sections show a broken icon next to their page name (just a rectangle).
If you're already enrolled in the Fast ring, you can pick up build 19645 now via Windows Update. For more on this release, you can also check out Microsoft's full release notes.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
NESTED VIRTUALIZATION ON AMD!!! Finally, I am so excited! Don't know if it's enough to make me switch to fast ring, but I am so happy they listened!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.