Well, that didn't take too long...
Just days after the succesful port of a very early release of WM6.5 on various GSM devices, Conflipper over at ppcgeeks has released a kitchen that opens the door for a ton of CDMA devices (Touch, Diamond, Touch Pro, Mogul).
Now, be warned: this is pre-release, early build stuff for WM6.5, meaning a lot of "things" are broke--so your help is needed.
Also, we should be on the lookout for a newer WM6.5 build around January 26th...so sit tight.
Having said that, here's what to expect...
Read on for the nitty-gritty details!
Conflipper was kind enough to summarize what this kitchen is about. Below are his notes:
- Based on alltel xip, and alltel driver base
- 6.5 at this time, is very fast, there is no new GUI, we are having a hard time porting that over, others have got it to work, I will include the files in the kitchens so others can try to make it work has well
- The new Pocket Internet Explorer, only works on 6.5, it is greatly improved over PIE6. Flash rendering is very fast, page rendering is very fast, There is a new double tap feature to zoom in, Also the menus are different has well. Different order of the menus
- We are still working on everything at this time. We have the following issues fixed. Media Player, PIE, Office, Volume control
- There is still very limited startup animation, we are tracking that down, trying to figure out what has changed there, if we use an older Startup Animation Engine driver from HTC, that came stock on the Vogue, it will play, there is however no sound, Since then HTC has moved to a newer animation driver called. HTCAnimation.dll. and that driver is not being picked up by 6.5, we are still working on this at the time.
- There is a new locking feature in 6.5. but It is highly recommended not to use it, it is not working properly at this time. And more then likely will lock up your phone, requiring a hard reset. Some people have got it to work, others have not.
- On the QVGA side of things, everything seems to be going better, since the leaked 6.5 source we got was a qvga device, that helps. On VGA it is a different story, the camera will not work at all, it says it can not initialize GAPI, we are not sure why it is doing this, and it looks like might not be fixed until we have a better source, but I could be wrong
Sounds exciting to us! Let us know how it goes and congrats to Conflipper and the rest of the ppcgeeks for this huge release!
Daniel Rubino is the Executive Editor of Windows Central, head reviewer, podcast co-host, and analyst. He has been covering Microsoft here since 2007, back when this site was called WMExperts (and later Windows Phone Central). His interests include Windows, Microsoft Surface, laptops, next-gen computing, and arguing with people on the internet.
Looks great. Great times are ahead for the CDMA world.
I think I'll wait for the ppckitchen group to make a buildable ROM package for now... I've had good luck with their program
very cool stuff, Conflipper @ PPC Geeks had been playing with this stuff for days, as well as my self. he got it going much better then any one els out there yet. so awesome work, and great article noticed a few spelling errors thought :P
lol, our new blogging software doesn't have spell check, which I badly need :-P
Looks interesting but I must see the real thing (so far those are just ported version)
More WinMo 6.5 screenshots in here: http://mobilespoon.blogspot.com/2009/01/is-that-windows-mobile-65-runnin...
WM6.5 beta rom has been ported to HTC Universal. Details:
On the QVGA side of things, everything seems to be going better, since the leaked 6.5 source we got was a qvga device, that helps. On VGA it is a different story, the camera will not work at all, it says it can not initialize GAPI, we are not sure why it is doing this, and it looks like might not be fixed until we have a better source, but I could be wrong. scrub m65
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.