Microsoft recently released the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers, but already many consumers who opted to upgrade are experiencing some rather odd glitches. A popular thread is well under way on our community forum, enabling users to share issues they discover while using the latest version of Windows Phone on their devices.
Just like our previous article covering glitches on Windows Phone in general, we're interested to know what you've come across in 8.1. The thread is an invaluable place to not only file these issues, but also to help get some support by reading through to see if anyone has found a solution. There's also a handy reference with frequently reported bugs. Here's just a snippet of what has been shared already:
- Bug: Screen does not wake up after hitting power button
- Solution: With Wi-Fi off this doesn't happen on ICON // Remove Photostream app (if installed) // Soft reset your phone
- Bug: Store icon buggy – updates vanish if not attended to
- Solution: Force check for updates from within the store settings area
- Bug: No comma button in keyboard
- Solution: Settings > Keyboard > Advanced and select the necessary box
- Bug: Alarms don't work
- Solution: Remove Windows Phone 8 alarms, set new ones
- Bug: Apps stored on SD cards are laggy
- Solution: Use Class 6 or Class 10 SD cards
However, it’s worth noting that these glitches you experience in the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers aren't unexpected. This build we’re all using hasn’t been fully optimized yet and firmware updates from carriers and OEMs will likely address any odd things you encounter. A lot of this stuff is likely to be addressed in the final update before it’s pushed over OTA to regular consumers.
So what strange, weird and wonderful things have you discovered while using the Preview for Developers? Be sure to head on over to our forum to join in the discussion.