If you are part of the Xbox One Preview program for the forthcoming Anniversary Update you want to grab the latest experience. The new version of the Xbox One OS should be live right now for people who are part of the opt-in preview program.
The 540MB latest release brings the OS to version rs1_xbox_rel_1608.160629-2012 and with it comes a really impressive changelog with new features. First and foremost is the arrival of Movies & TV app to match the experience on Windows 10. In addition, users can now rent and purchase TV shows from the new Xbox Store.
Unfortunately, Cortana is still not significantly improved, however, we expect those fixes in upcoming releases.
Here is the full changelog of things to look for including fixes and known issues with this release:
Movies & TV
Purchasing and renting movies and TV shows is now enabled in the new Xbox Store, and playback of movies and TV shows is enabled in the new Movies & TV app. You can purchase or rent movies and TV shows in the Xbox Store (or the Windows Store or on Microsoft Store (web)), and use the new Movies & TV app to play back content.
When first launching the new Movies & TV app, you will be taken to the home screen which only displays a few items from your collection. To view your entire collection of movies and TV shows, move the left stick on your controller to the left to expose the side bar menu, and select "Movies" or "TV" to see your full collection. On the home screen of the new Movies & TV app, if you select a new movie or TV show to purchase or rent, you will be taken to the product details page in the Xbox Store to complete the purchase.
Movies & TV Known Issues:
- You may have to manually download the new Movies & TV app from the Xbox Store, and manually uninstall the old Movies & TV app.
- When searching in the Xbox Store for the new Movies & TV app, the app may be listed in the Xbox Store as "Films & TV".
- If you try to purchase or rent movies or TV shows from the old Movies & TV app, you will be prompted with an error.
Resolved an issue preventing the headset controls from appearing in the Guide.
The Xbox Avatars app should no longer get stuck in the Queue when attempting to download an update.
Movies & TV
When launching Movies & TV and attempting to play a video, the menu should no longer obstruct part of the screen.
While playing a video, pressing the left thumbstick to enter full screen mode should no longer cause Microsoft Edge to crash.
The NowTV app no longer fails to launch.
OneDrive should no longer fail to launch.
Narrator should no longer lose focus when navigating the dashboard or Store.
EA Access Games
Resolved an issue which prevented certain EA Access games from launching.
Xbox Universal Store
The Coming Soon section is now available in the Store.
CURRENT KNOWN ISSUES
Xbox Universal Store
- Users may still be able to purchase Xbox 360 backward compatible games from the Store without entering their password when their profile is set to "Lock It Down".
Xbox Universal Store
- Token redemption for Xbox Live Gold fails.
- Store pages for purchased games and apps sometimes still show a "Buy" button rather than an "Install" button. If you encounter this issue, please submit feedback via Report a problem.
- Users may still be able to purchase movies and TV shows from the Store without entering their password when their profile is set to "Lock It Down".
- The "Buy" button for games promoted through Deals with Gold may fail to launch the purchase page, and instead launch the Gold Lounge.
- Sometimes after powering on from connected standby and launching a full screen game or app, a black bar remains where content was previously snapped. Workaround: Quit and relaunch the game or app, or, snap new content and unsnap it.
Payments and Billing
- At this time it's not possible to add, edit, or remove payment options on the console. Please use Xbox.com or another console not enrolled in Redstone to manage payment options.
- At this time it's not possible to remove or change payment information associated with pre-ordered games.
- Users are allowed one free Gamertag change per account. After using your one free Gamertag change, you will be charged for future Gamertag changes. In the current update, while your free Gamertag change will complete successfully, attempting to purchase a Gamertag change will charge your account, but will not change your Gamertag. Please avoid purchasing a Gamertag change on Xbox One at this time. To successfully change your Gamertag, visit https://account.xbox.com/ChangeGamertag.
- When selecting "Add new" to add a new profile, the add profile interface may take up to 30 seconds to appear.
- Cortana may take a longer than expected amount of time to use the play command.
- Searching the Xbox Universal Store via Cortana sometimes causes her to search the same keyword multiple times.
- Cortana may sometimes restart and indicate she is "Warming up..." even after recent use.
- If you have pins on your Home to movies, TV shows, or music, they will disappear from Home when that app takes its new app update. The pins for the apps will stay on your Home, easy to get to.
My Games & Apps
- You may encounter an error when attempting to load Ready to Install with a large number of digital games and apps.
- Links to the Store in Community Calendar event details do not currently function.
To get the update Microsoft notes that "you can manually begin the update by launching the Guide and navigating to All Settings > System > Console info & updates" and the update will prompt you to install no later than 1:00AM PDT 7/3/2016.