#AskDanWindows 18 - Is Windows Phone dead?
We're back for another episode of #AskDanWindows where I take your questions from Twitter and email and do my best to answer. Obviously, a lot has happened in the last two weeks especially with Windows Phone, so I'll be talking a lot about that topic.
Ready for the questions we picked? Here we go!
AskDanWindows Episode 18 Questions of the Week
- Do you agree that windows phone is over? (Do you still use WP everyday) – Jason L.
- What do you think was Microsoft's biggest mistake with Windows Phone and do you believe without the mistake Windows Phone would be a success today? – Jason L.
- So my question is, Should I get the L930 (which is more affordable but outdated) or wait for L950 (which is more expensive but a high end phone)? – Manish R.
- Why isn't it possible to buy a game once and have it be available to download on both PC and Xbox. - Ehtesham S
- Why is Microsoft pushing back the rollout date for Windows 10 Mobile and losing momentum from the 950/950XL release? – Ryan N.
- Any word on a Band 3? Will Band 1 get any more feature updates? – Russel H.
- What about Surface 4 (non pro version)? Is MSFT just waiting for Intel Goldmont chips? – Lucas B.
- How do you feel about Microsoft giving goodies to other platforms (WordFlow, Garage apps, etc) while their own OS lacks much? – Samir S.
- Why have Microsoft not been able to merge skype into messaging in the way imessage for apple works? Or is this the plan? – David S.
- Is it possible to install windows phone 8.1.1 using recover tool in Lumia 950XL or 950 – Yasir R.
- Is the 650 the last phone based on Nokia's designs or is it a sign of things to come with the Surface phone? - @ltjordan24
Thanks to everyone who submitted a question and as always, thanks for watching!
Don't use Twitter? Well after much feedback we are happy to announce you can forward your questions to AskDan@WindowsCentral.com to submit your requests!
About that office…
For those of you wondering about our office, we did our full office tour a few months ago. You can find that article here including our equipment listing or watch the video below!
Missed previous episodes? You may be surprised what I have revealed. You can find previous episodes of #AskDanWindows here on the main landing page.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in your inbox, every day!
Daniel Rubino is the Editor-in-chief of Windows Central, head reviewer, podcast co-host, and analyst. He has been covering Microsoft since 2007 when this site was called WMExperts (and later Windows Phone Central). His interests include Windows, laptops, next-gen computing, and for some reason, watches. Before all this tech stuff, he worked on a Ph.D. in linguistics, watched people sleep (for medical purposes!), and ran the projectors at movie theaters because it was fun.
I wouldn't doubt them so much. Remember when the surface came out?
Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
But sure, be like Apple and make everyone have the same phone.
You know, Microsoft is better than that. They offered software for millions of computers worldwide. They were never at the level of lagging the W10M was on a handful of different handsets.
There's no arresting this decline. Blackberry are doing it right by providing a forked/secure version of Android. That is the only way out for MS.
(They only have themselves to blame. They have focussed development on the desktop in a world that is ever more mobile. They will rue that error)
You're such a lame, Nadella.
& that's why MS doesn't care for its own platform, as they know Dumbass like you will keep buying their 3rd Class Handsets like 950/XL.
Wese Tu he bra Ullu ka Pattha. #UDP
I doubt that one day WP/WM will B a third party phone having everything (Apps/Games) from 3rd party developers rather than Official.
Compared to windows phone OS, it's a clutter mess. U have blackberry ecosystem on it, and google, and I'm trying to add my Microsoft services on it, so it's all three email alerts, Facebook alerts, etc. I will be carrying both phones but the sim card will stay on windows phone. Cortana and every Ms is just more reliable on wp. PRIV is good for it's keyboard.
quiz up works better on windows 10 now .
I think some notifications can be bit slow coming through but.
Blackberry keyboard and virtual keyboards are the best.
The Lumia comes in close second for it's virtual one.
Blabkabla aps...for me it is very nice phone, better twitter, better YouTube, better picture, nice email, great battery, nice looks, mtalk for forums, have Waze, office, onedrive, weather apps...etc etc
Funny because since I bought my 950XL I'm having a blast, Its a great device!
I'm sure as **** not going back to android and I'm not paying for a crappy overpriced iphone with old hardware.
et lux perpetua luceat est.
Te decet hymnus, Windows Phone, in Windows Central,
et tibi reddetur votum in Redmond.
Exaudi orationem meam,
ad te omnis caro veniet.
Requiem aeternam dona est, Domine,
et lux perpetua luceat est.
1) Qualcomm MSM8994 Snapdragon 810, octa-core processor 1.5 Cortex-A53 & 2.0 GHz Cortex-A57(dual CPU)
2) IQ Built-in wireless charging
3) Fast 2 Hours charging
4) HD 5 MP wide angle front camera, 1080p video
5) 20 MP wide angle main camera, 4K video
6) 3 GB RAM
7) Maximum memory MicroSD size: 200 GB
8) User data storage: In device, OneDrive cloud storage, App and data storage on memory card
9) Flash type: 3 Led Natural flash
10) FM radio
11) liquid cooler
12) Video zoom, Optical image
13) Lumia Rich Recording with four microphones
14) Materials: Free of PVC, Contains recycled metals, Free of nickel on the product surface, Free of BFR
15) system and charging connection: USB-C
16) WiFi or HDMI windows 10 (simulated and multitask) with mouse and keyboard display on TV and with phone still working.
17) Biometric authentic method to login. * Microsoft office and the edge browser work faster then demonstrated as CPU is Octa-core. As OS determine the processes. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F6I3w488byU
Talking about the app gap, Islandwood will become a success and I still believe in a much powerful surface phone !!
I've recently purchased (a big decision as money is very stretched) a Lumia 950 as my main device for the next few years. I was tempted by the Nexus 6P but went for the Lumia..... Something about Windows 10 that appealed on a mobile.
I really like the WM OS but this mobile needs some serious updates..... It randomly re-starts itself, the video recording is so frustrating because it regularly stutters on playback (no matter what definition setting) and icons disappear randomly and my SD card (a decent, high quality card) seems to randomly not be recognised.
The screen is lloovveellyy and the live tiles are amazing but, for a flagship, and not cheap, device, I can't help feel a bit disappointed and let down by Microsoft.
It is frustrating to not have all the apps (cooperative bank, Instagram is still in beta, Facebook is a bit naff etc etc yes, there are some amazing alternatives... 6Tag, Tweetium, MyTube but it's so frustrating to not feel like Microsoft are bothered about WM!!
For a 'flagship' device where I've taken a big financial, and 'product loyalty', step, I can't help but feel a bit deflated and disappointment.
The app gap I can tolerate but it's not acceptable to have random phone restarts, rubbish video recording and memory card issues.... Yes on a £50 - not on a £450 device.
Windows 10 mobile is just not quite there yet. For budget devices, WM is absolutely amazing and, I think, is the best OS in that market. For the latest high end device, it's just not worth the asking price....
It's a cream
(Most of the people where I live are app addicts) btw...I just really like how the WP8.1 perfoms (though lately, resuming screen annoys me)