Battlefield 2042 is defined by its unique and diverse array of Specialists, and if you're looking for a character that's ideal for aggressively, look no further than Webster Mackay. With a kit that focuses on creative playmaking and forward movement, Mackay is perfect for attacking objectives and exploiting holes in enemy defenses.
If you're interested in learning how to play Mackay effectively but you're not sure where to start, we have you covered with an in-depth guide to his abilities, tips for playing him, loadout suggestions, and more. Here's everything you need to know about using Mackay in Battlefield 2042.
Battlefield goes back to the future
Battlefield 2042 debuts Electronic Arts' next-generation vision for the military shooter, supporting up to 128 players, the largest-ever maps, devastatingly destructive weather systems, and more.
Battlefield 2042 Mackay: Abilities and gadgets
Like the rest of the Battlefield 2042 Specialists, Mackay has a unique gadget as well as a unique ability. These give him the ability to operate very aggressively and creatively in combat. Here's a look at Mackay's kit:
- Grappling Hook: Mackay can fire a grappling hook that pulls him towards the surface it hits.
- Nimble: Mackay can move much faster than other Specialists when aiming down weapon sights.
Mackay's defining gadget is his Grappling Hook, which allows him to pull himself to wherever the hook lands after it's fired. Additionally, Mackay's Nimble trait gives him the ability to move much faster than other Specialists when aiming down weapon sights, which makes him very effective at pushing into enemy positions. Thanks to the creative potential of the Grappling Hook and the speed of his movement in combat, Mackay is a powerful offensive Specialist that excels at assaulting dangerous defensive positions and capturing objectives.
Battlefield 2042 Mackay: Tips and tricks
Applying these general tips about Mackay will significantly improve your effectiveness with the character no matter which Battlefield 2042 maps or game mode you're playing.
- Keep moving. Unlike some other Specialists that excel at controlling one position, Mackay's Grappling Hook and Nimble trait are best used for high-mobility offense.
- Use the Grappling Hook to quickly take the high ground, giving yourself an advantage over enemies below. Make sure to hold your jump button to clamber up to your position if necessary.
- You can also use the Grappling Hook to zip across several meters of terrain, which gets you into battle faster.
- The Grappling Hook can be used to reach creative positions for sniping with long-range weapons like sniper rifles.
- The Grappling Hook is also capable of pulling pilots out of helicopters, killing them instantly. If an enemy helicopter flies nearby and you don't have an anti-aircraft launcher, you may be able to take the aircraft out this way.
- While pushing forward with Nimble, strafe left and right to make yourself harder to hit.
- You can also use the Nimble trait to quickly move in and out of cover, making it difficult for opponents to hit you multiple times.
- If you need to retreat, you can move backward relatively quickly while still firing back at enemies thanks to the movement speed buff Nimble provides.
Battlefield 2042 Mackay: Loadout suggestions
Like most of the best Xbox shooters available, Battlefield 2042 places a strong emphasis on putting together good loadouts. Because Mackay's kit is all about aggressive play, loadouts that focus on close-to-mid range combat are generally your best options. However, there are some defense-oriented loadouts that can work well with Mackay too. Here are some suggestions:
- Assault Rifle with Armor Plate: Assault Rifles are perfect for pushing into enemy territory and close-to-mid range, which is where Mackay excels. The Armor Plate gadget is also great for offensive playstyles, as it gives you an extra 20 health.
- SMG/Shotgun with Armor Plate: If you want to play very aggressively, an SMG or a Shotgun instead of an Assault Rifle will perform well. Just don't expect to be able to engage foes effectively at range.
- Assault Rifle with Recoilless M5 Launcher: If you'd prefer to have an effective option against vehicles, use a Recoilless M5 Launcher. Your Grappling Hook will allow you to get behind enemy armored vehicles, which is where rockets do the most damage.
- Assault Rifle with C5 Explosive: C5 Explosives are perfect for blowing up vehicles quickly if you manage to get close to them, and since you can use the Grappling Hook on vehicles, that shouldn't be a problem. They're an excellent alternative to the Recoilless M5 Launcher.
- Sniper Rifle with Ammo Crate: Since the Grappling Hook makes it easy to get into good sniping positions, using a Sniper Rifle with Mackay is a great way to defend an area from incoming targets. Bring along an Ammo Crate gadget for extra ammo.
- Marksman Rifle with Ammo Crate: Marksman Rifles are a great alternative to Sniper Rifles if you're planning on engaging enemies at medium-to-long range. They have low ammo reserves, though, so use an Ammo Crate gadget.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.