Every weekend, Windows Central livestreams an Xbox One or Steam game for 1-2 hours and gives out free games to the cool people who join us during the stream. It's like a live podcast, only you also get to watch a game while chatting with our awesome readers and viewers! We call this show Saturday Game School because learning about new games is always fun. Because we took yesterday off, it's time for a special Sunday edition of our show.
Tonight on Mixer, we played Fortnite, the exciting action-building game from Epic Games. Fortnite launches via Early Access on July 25, but preorders can play it now. Read on for quick impressions and contest winners.
Just follow us at Mixer.com/WindowsCentral, enable email notifications, watch along, and participate in chat for your chance to win. After the stream ends, be sure to check back for the YouTube replay video and contest winners.
After knocking our socks off at E3 this year, Fortnite from Epic Games is almost here. Fortnite is an action-building game for up to four players. The gameplay combines Epic-style third-person shooting along with exploration and fast and intuitive building. Players build temporary and permanent bases strategically and are then forced to repair and change them during the heat of battle. You'll need to switch between combat and building on the fly, which is surprisingly easy.
Being a shooter from Epic Games, Fortnite has some great third-person shooting. You'll craft and win a variety of powerful guns, including pistols, machine guns, and rocket launchers. Your heroes can also wield melee weapons like swords, using them to slice through hordes of monsters. Objects in the environment are destructible as well, so you can slice up trees, furniture, and more to find valuable crafting materials.
Building plays a big role in Fortnite. Just hit the B button to switch to build mode, then hit Y until the desired object is selected from the menu at the bottom-right corner of the screen. Press Right Trigger again to build the desired object. During hectic missions, you'll have to building doors traps and even mazes to keep monsters at bay. Structures can also be customized with better materials like stone and metal to increase their strength.
Fortnite is a paid early access title. To gain access to the game, you'll need to purchase a founder's pack. Players who preorder a pack can jump in right now, but everyone will be able to buy founder's packs and get the game on July 25. Want to know more, including how the game will be enhanced for Xbox One X? Check out our E3 impressions!
- Preorder the Standard Founder's Pack
- Preorder the Deluxe Founder's Pack
- Preorder the Super Deluxe Founder's Pack
- Preorder the Limited Edition Founder's Pack
We streamed Fortnite for ~90 minutes. During that time, we gave out a total of 6 prize codes:
- Six $10 Xbox gift cards
See the contest winners at the end of this story.
How to watch Mixer livestreams
We stream exclusively on Mixer, Microsoft's interactive livestreaming platform (formerly known as Beam). It provides some welcome improvements over Twitch, such as a cleaner website layout, built-in stream interactivity, and extremely low latency.
You can follow our channel at Mixer.com/WindowsCentral. From there, you'll be able to watch the stream and participate in chat directly from any web browser, including the Windows Phone browsers.
To receive email notifications when our Mixer streams go live:
- First, follow our channel.
- Now select your profile from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Pick the Account option near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to the Notifications tab.
- Make sure Send me important email updates on the Mixer platform is enabled. This option is labeled deceptively, but it's required for all forms of email notifications.
- Click or tap the Email box next to our channel name until a check appears. That's it!
- We highly recommend that you set a recurring alarm on your phone. Our weekend stream always starts at the same time (9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific), so the phone reminder can be very helpful.
Want to know what's next for Windows Central's weekend Mixer programming? We stream a different game every Saturday (and sometimes Sunday). The stream always starts at the same time: 9 PM Eastern (8 PM Central, 6 PM Pacific, 1 AM GMT). Over the next few weeks, we'll be streaming the following (schedule not finalized):
- July 29: SUPERHOT, the amazing first-person shooter in which time only moves when you do.
- August 5: Gigantic, the free to play MOBA for Xbox and Windows 10 from Perfect World. Win a starter pack with characters and items!
- August 12: Marvel Puzzle Quest, D3's addictive puzzle-RPG featuring Marvel Superheroes!
- August 19: Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae, the Japanese indie action game in which schoolgirls used swords to battle monsters. We love to showcase unique games on Saturday Game School!
- August 26: No stream, as Paul will be out of town at QuakeCon.
- September 2: Penarium, a sadistic 2D platformer from Team17 that takes place in a deadly circus.
- September 9: Letter Quest Remastered, the best spelling-RPG/word game on Xbox One.
We hope you'll tune in as often as you can! Set a recurring alarm on your phone so you'll always know when it's time for the stream to start.
These viewers make excellent pillow forts!
Tonight's prizes provided by Mobile Nations. Thanks also to our stream moderators for keeping the peace and giving away the prizes!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.