Windows Mixed Reality has become a major focus for Microsoft going forward, and it looks as if that push has extended to a shakeup of Microsoft's internal team structure. According to a report from Petri (via ZDNet), Microsoft has gone through with a small reorganization effort that shuffles several of its teams based around its augmented, mixed, and virtual reality efforts.
The most interesting moves appear to be the creation of a new Mixed Reality Studio focused on "Mixed Reality in the Modern Workplace," and the combination of Microsoft's Every Day Magic (EDM) and Evoke studios. EDM is responsible for Paint 3D, Remix3D, Mixed Reality Viewer, and development of apps across mixed, virtual, and augmented reality. The Evoke team is behind the Photos and Videos app. The combined groups will now report to Chris Pratley, who is a notable figure within Microsoft for his work on OneNote and Sway.
Along with the above changes, Microsoft is also reported to be reorganizing its New Experiences and Technologies (NeXT) team, which is part of its AI and research group. Changes include:
- Graph and Data: A new team defining the capabilities and creative vision for how data and analytics become a crucial element in defining user experiences.
- Foundry: Incubating new types of experiences plus pushing and validating platform and hardware incubation that bring value across NEXT strategic initiatives.
- Source: Focuses on data reporting, AppsPortal, and validation with hardware partners.
- Education: This is a new team to drive wide efforts in education which the company hopes will be the next big growth area for the org.
- S&O: Product innovation through trend analysis and business design.
- Basecamp: this team is the storytelling side of NEXT and the Community, Content and SpecIT teams are moving under this umbrella.
- Design Activation: This is a new team focused on NEXT wide UX and audio designs. Studio Maya: This is a new operation based in India and is focused on mixed reality and 2D devices.
- Data Compliance: A new team helping to maintain that helps the team maintain compliance and meet standards such as business rules and data definition/integrity.
- Data Science: Data analysis and product insight for NEXT data.
Ultimately, all of these shuffles will only be felt internally, and it's doubtful that outside users of Microsoft's products will notice anything different. However, this reorganization effort does appear to be responsible for the small round of layoffs confirmed by Microsoft this week.
The Cyber Monday keyboard deals you need to know about
Getting your hands on a new keyboard is exciting for PC users, and thanks to Black Friday, it's more affordable than ever before. Here's a look at the best Black Friday keyboard deals available now.
Review: Immortals Fenyx Rising a late Game of the Year contender
Immortals Fenyx Rising skyrocketed to the top of my Game of the Year list, and I think it's something a lot of people will really like.
Review: Empire of Sin combines genres to let you take over 1920s Chicago
Empire of Sin, the wildly ambitious gangster simulator from Romero Games, combines aspects of Civilization, XCOM, and a Tycoon game to let you take over 1920s Chicago. All those disparate pieces work together surprisingly well for a flavorful and complex test of strategy.
We pit the HP ENVY x360 15 against the Lenovo Yoga C740 15
Both the Lenovo Yoga C740 and the HP ENVY x360 15 are great convertible devices, but which one should you actually buy? Here are our thoughts.