Every weekend, Windows Central livestreams an Xbox One or Steam game for 1-2 hours and gives out free games to the cool people who join us during the stream. It's like a live podcast, only you also get to watch a game while chatting with our awesome readers and viewers!
Tonight on Beam, we played The Little Acre, a beautiful cartoon-like adventure game from Curve Digital and the designer of Broken Sword. Players control a father and his daughter as they journey to another world to rescue the girl's missing grandfather. Read on for quick impressions, contest winners, and the full video replay.
The Little Acre
The Little Acre comes from Dublin-based developer Pewter Games, executive producer Charles Cecil (who designed the Broken Sword games), and indie publisher Curve Digital.
Set in 1950s Ireland, the game follows a widower named Aidan and his young daughter Lily. The two live with Aidan's father, a scientist and inventor. One day, Aidan's father goes missing. Could his disappearance be related to his research on mysterious crystals whose power is sought after by a nefarious corporation? Aidan and Lily's search will take them from the idyllic Little Acre to another world filled with adventure.
The Little Acre is a traditional adventure game in which players must explore environments, search for clues and items, and solve challenging puzzles to advance the story. Both Aidan and Lily will be playable throughout the adventure. Hand-drawn characters and animation, and full voice acting bring together this unique and unforgettable adventure.
We streamed The Little Acre for ~90 minutes. During that time, we gave out a total of 10 game codes:
- 5 for Xbox One
- 2 for PlayStation 4 (North American accounts only)
- 3 for Steam
See the contest winners at the end of this story.
How to watch Beam livestreams
We're now streaming on Beam, Microsoft's interactive livestreaming platform. It provides some welcome improvements over Twitch, such as a cleaner website layout, built-in stream interactivity, and extremely low latency.
You can follow our channel at Beam.pro/WindowsCentral. From there, you'll be able to watch the stream and participate in chat directly from any web browser, including the Xbox One and Windows Phone browsers.
To receive email notifications when our Beam streams go live:
- First, follow our channel.
- Now select your profile from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Pick the Account option near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to the Notifications tab.
- Make sure Send me important email updates on the Beam platform is enabled. This option is labeled deceptively, but it's required for all forms of email notifications.
- Click or tap the Email box next to our channel name until a check appears. That's it!
- We highly recommend that you set a recurring alarm on your phone. Our weekend stream always starts at the same time (9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific), so the phone reminder can be very helpful.
Beam does not offer Xbox One or Windows Phone apps yet, so watching from the browser is the only option on Microsoft platforms. But Beam does offer apps on Android and iOS. Yes, that's a strange inequity. Native Xbox and Windows 10 support is coming though, so stick with us!
Want to know what's next for Windows Central's weekend Beam programming? We stream a different game every Saturday (and sometimes Sunday). The stream always starts at the same time: 9pm Eastern (8pm Central, 6pm Pacific, 2am GMT). Over the next few weeks, we'll be streaming the following (schedule not finalized):
- January 7: Quest of Dungeons from Upfall Studios. Win a copy of this Rogue-lite action-role-playing game with an appealing pixel art style.
- January 14: Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. Watch us play this 2-player cooperative space adventure and maybe win a copy of your own!
- January 14: Rare Replay. We'll check out some favorite games from this Xbox-exclusive classic games collection and give out a bunch of copies of it too!
We hope you'll tune in as often as you can! Set a recurring alarm on your phone so you'll always know when it's time for the stream to start.
These winners are about to step into an adventure in The Little Acre.
Tonight's prizes provided by Curve Digital. Thanks also to our stream moderators for keeping the peace and giving away the prizes!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.