What you need to know
- A new Microsoft Edge Dev channel build is now available.
- The update brings support for the Storage Access API, along with a bunch of bug fixes.
- Edge Insiders can download the update now as version 86.0.601.1.
Right on cue, Microsoft shipped out a new build for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel today. This latest release doesn't contain much in the way of new features, but there are plenty of big fixes in tow. Included in those are several crash fixes as well.
On the feature front, there's now support for the Storage Access API, along with a tweak to Kiosk mode and more. Here's a look at all of what's new and fixed in this release.
- Added support to Kiosk mode for an automatic browser restart when it's idle.
- Enabled support for the Storage Access API. Note that this was previously under a controlled rollout.
- Enabled a feature from Chromium that forces websites to specify the SameSite=None attribute in order to use third-party cookies. By default, cookies without this attribute will be treated as if they're SameSite=Lax. See https://blog.chromium.org/2020/02/samesite-cookie-changes-in-february.html for more details.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where browser sign-in or sync sometimes fails.
- Fixed a crash when submitting feedback.
- Fixed a crash when printing.
- Fixed an issue where opening Settings in a Guest window crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the smooth-scrolling flag went missing.
- Fixed an issue where certain webpages can't be translated because the prompt to translate them doesn't appear.
- Fixed an issue where tooltips sometimes get stuck onscreen, even when Edge isn't the active window.
- Fixed an issue where changing a profile picture for profiles that aren't signed in doesn't work.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where entering fullscreen mode sometimes results in the Shy UI not working.
- Fixed an issue where data sometimes can't be imported from Firefox because it's missing from the list of available browsers.
- Fixed an issue where scrolling sometimes doesn't work when viewing PDFs.
- Fixed an issue where pasting Information Protected content into a PDF sometimes doesn't work as expected.
- Deprecated the User Agent Client Hints Enabled management policy.
- Obsoleted the TLS 1.3 Hardening For Local Anchors Enabled management policy.
If you're already testing the Microsoft Edge Dev channel, you can snag this update by checking through the "About Microsoft Edge" portion of the settings menu. Otherwise, the Beta, Dev, and Canary channels are all available from the Edge Insider site. Likewise, the release version of Edge is up for grabs at the official Edge website.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.