Microsoft Edge Dev channel gets new ink and tracking prevention settings
There's also a button to make Edge your default browser in the settings.
What you need to know
- Another weekly update is now rolling out for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel.
- New in this release are additional inking settings for PDFs and the option to sync tracking prevention exceptions.
- This update is rolling out as Edge version 82.0.439.1.
Microsoft's weekly cadence for new Edge Dev channel builds continues with a fresh update headed out to testers today. This release comes in at version 82.0.439.1, and it includes several new features to check out. Most notably, you can now customize the size and color of ink when annotating PDFs, and there's now an option to sync your tracking prevention exceptions between Edge on different devices.
Additionally, the settings menu now sports a button to set Edge as your default browser, and Edge will now suggest an address when there's a typo in an address you entered. Here's a full look at what's new and fixed in this latest Dev channel release.
- Added the ability to customize the size and color of ink when annotating PDFs.
- Added a service to suggest an address to try when a navigation to a website fails due to a typo in the address.
- Added support for syncing Tracking Prevention exception settings.
- Added a button in Settings to make Edge the Default Browser.
- Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where selecting text in the address bar sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where syncing favorites with the Stable channel of Edge sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where undoing an action taken by the Favorite deduplication tool crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where declining to save a password via the dialog sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where entering Immersive Reader sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where websites that are displayed in an IE mode tab crash the browser when they display a geolocation dialog.
- Fixed a browser crash when opening an IE mode website from a pinned shortcut.
- Fixed an issue where hitting F6 sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when using Collections.
- Fixed an issue where the act of deleting a Collection on one machine will crash the Collections pane on another machine if it's open when the deletion is synced in.
- Fixed a crash when changing Settings.
- Fixed a crash on launch.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where some Appearance Settings are missing.
- After saving a PDF file from within the PDF viewer, the saved file will become the currently-viewed one instead of the original one.
- Fixed an issue where recently visited sites don't appear in the address bar as search suggestions.
- Fixed an issue where the Windows dialog to choose an application to use when opening a particular type of file keeps opening in a loop when selecting Edge as the application.
- Fixed an issue where certain internal pages like the Favorites management page don't respond to touch drag and drop.
- Fixed an issue where Windows Information Protection (WIP) sometimes doesn't work when copying contents out of work or school-related Office documents.
- Fixed an issue where users of WIP can't access work or school websites in InPrivate.
- Fixed an issue where playing video in fullscreen sometimes hides part of the video.
- Fixed an issue where closing a tab when the Guided Switch dialog is open messes up the visuals of all other tabs.
- Fixed an issue where clicking the button to leave a dangerous website that's been blocked by SmartScreen disables the back/forward buttons on the address bar.
- Fixed an issue where the feedback screenshot sometimes fails to be taken.
- Fixed an issue where the "Multiple profile preferences" section appears in Settings when only a single browser profile exists.
- Fixed an issue where exporting Collections that have locations like hotels or restaurants in them to Excel results in data missing in the exported spreadsheet.
- Temporarily disabled WIP support on 32-bit Edge to prevent a crash on launch.
If you're already using the Microsoft Edge Dev channel, you can update to the latest release now through the settings menu. If you have yet to give one of the Insider channels a shot, you can download the Canary, Dev, and Beta channels from the Edge Insider site now. The release version, which will eventually see these new features in the coming weeks, is also available.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the former Editor-in-Chief of Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl.