Microsoft has reported its earnings for its second fiscal quarter of 2016, overall the company brought in a total GAAP revenue of $23.8 billion. That's compared to $26.5 billion in revenue from the same period a year ago. Looking at non-GAAP income, Microsoft actually beat expectations with $25.7 billion outpacing the expected 25.27 billion in revenues. As for net income, the company came in at $5 billion compared to $5.9 billion a year ago.
Turning to each business, Microsoft says that productivity and Business Process revenue declined by 2% to $6.7 billion, while Intelligent Cloud revenue grew 5% to $6.3 billion. Meanwhile, the "More Personal Computing" category, which accounts for Surface, phone and Xbox revenue, among other things, saw revenue drop 5% to $12.7 billion. While the category saw significant growth in Xbox Live monthly active users, along with a notable bump in Surface revenue at $1.3 billion, phone revenue declined by nearly 50%. Here are the highlights:
- Windows OEM revenue declined 5% in constant currency, outperforming the PC market, driven by higher consumer premium and mid-range device mix
- Surface revenue increased 29% in constant currency driven by the launch of Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
- Phone revenue declined 49% in constant currency reflecting our strategy change announced in July 2015
- Search advertising revenue excluding traffic acquisition costs grew 21% in constant currency with continued benefit from Windows 10 usage
- Xbox Live monthly active users grew 30% year-over-year to a record 48 million
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Got $200? If so, you can afford one of these excellent displays.
Getting a great PC monitor doesn't mean you have to spend megabucks. There are naturally some compromises, and you won't get 4K in that price range. But that's not always a bad thing. These are the best options for less than $200.
Surface Duo is better at multitasking than Galaxy Z Fold 2. Here's why.
The $2,000 Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 and $1,400 Microsoft Surface Duo are garnering many headlines because of pricing, and they both "fold" in some manner. But these devices are radically different, a point demonstrated with great effectiveness by @iAm_erica in this new video.
Review: Samsung Galaxy Book S brings amazing battery life, tough keyboard
Samsung's Galaxy Book S runs the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx ARM processor. With a slick, slim design and weighing just 2.1lbs how does this ultra-light laptop handle office productivity? With exceptionally good battery life and that always-on 4G LTE we have some thoughts in our latest review.
Finding Xbox One Wireless Controller replacement parts is easy
Here are all the replacement Xbox One controller parts you need for an easy fix.