myTube! is one such alternative on Windows Phone. If you're not fond of using the YouTube website on your Windows touch device, myTube! is now rolling out to the Windows 8.1 store with a ton of quality features.
myTube! is my personal favourite YouTube app, primarily for its unique take on video scrubbing. You can drag anywhere on the video to scrub forwards or backwards in the timeline, which is far more intuitive than dragging a small control as seen in other apps.
Video audio continues to play even when you don't have the app in focus, which is great for listening to music or podcasts. Both the Windows Phone and Windows 8.1 apps allow you to download YouTube videos or audio to your device as well for offline use.
myTube! developer Ryken Apps also keeps its users well-informed of changes to YouTube's developer API via system messages. YouTube back-end changes often breaks third-party apps, so being reassured about fixes directly in-app is a big bonus.
As a universal app, myTube! syncs most of your settings between Windows Phone and Windows 8.1, such as login details, colour scheming and so on. The Windows 8.1 app also supports mouse and keyboard quite thoroughly and live tiles for subscriptions, making it a useful even for non-touch devices.
Here are just some of myTube!'s Windows 8.1 features:
- Supports up to 2160p (4K) playback
- Supports 60 FPS playback for gaming videos
- Background audio support
- Downloading videos to your PCs video library
- Channel upload notifications
- Multiple accounts support
- Playlist management (creation, deletion, renaming and sorting)
- Offline playlists
- Post comments, and reply to comment threads
- Offline playlist support
- Live tiles
myTube! for Windows 8.1 is rolling out now, but you should be able to find it by using the link below.
- Download myTube! for Windows 8.1 (£0.79 with free trial)
- Download myTube! for Windows Phone 8.1 (£0.79 with free trial)
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.