Microsoft has been busy releasing patches outside of its standard Patch Tuesday cycle in January, and it's ending the month with another. This time, a small cumulative update is available for PCs on the Fall Creators Update, bringing along a handful of fixes (via Neowin).
This release ticks the build number up to version 16299.214 (KB4058258). Here's a look at all of what's new (opens in new tab), according to Microsoft:
- Addresses a compatibility issue where colors are distorted when the system is connected to displays that support wide color gamut.
- Addresses a condition where a second monitor that is connected to legacy AMD display adapters flashes after waking from sleep.
- Addresses issue that causes delays when switching keyboard languages using Alt+Shift.
- Addresses compatibility issues when rendering certain closed captions or subtitle formats during video playback.
- Addresses issue where the Microsoft Edge Allow Extension Group Policy for the disabled state was not working.
- Provides additional protections for 32-bit (x86) versions of Windows 10, version 1709.
- Resolves the issue reported by some customers on a small subset of older AMD processors where the processor entered an unbootable state after installing January 3, 2018—KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192).
In addition to the handful of fixes, there are a few known issues in this build as well. You can find the complete rundown in Microsoft's release notes (opens in new tab). Otherwise, if your PC is on the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, you can grab these fixes now by checking with Windows Update.
They really need to fix the post-Spectre/Meltdown patch issues. The firmware update made my $3k Surface Book 2 slow as molasses at times. Very laggy and incredibly annoying. My old T420 is way faster...that's a serious issue. FYI I tried the manual "registry reversal" .exe posted over the weekend...never installed after clicking, just sat silent, not running.
Have you tried Inspectre? it has options to turn off the protection. https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm
There was KB4078130 turn off the bug Spectre fix intel released you can find it on Microsoft catalog.update
After installed KB4078130 and restarted, i feel my surface laptop is faster now.
I know. That's the one I mentioned in my post. It doesn't do anything when you click on the .exe.
I also noticed slow down on my 8GB Ram surface laptop after that firmware update. My SP3 is now faster without firmware update. I am grade I did not receive firmware update to my SP3.
"Addresses issue that causes delays when switching keyboard languages using Alt+Shift." YES this was driving me mad!!
Oh yes this was really really really annoying
I thought the screen flashing thing was just me...or a bad adaptor.
Can I play cs 1.6 without mouse problems now?
yeah finally, i will tested it on my AMD E2-1800 laptop. it's never been a fast laptop, but last update make it even unusable because it took 8 minutes to boot. (compared to 20s before the updates), and yeah i installed SSD and 8GB of RAM on it. hope this update will fixed it.
My Toshiba Laptop did the update to 1709 in late Dec or early Jan ... it went fairly smooth except it took a long time (almost 3 hrs) and when it was done, a number of APPS were missing from the APPS list ... Was able to reinstall a couple of them, but Windows Camera will not place an Icon (shortcut) on the Apps list .. and I did try the various command line items to try and restore the missing ones. You would think Microsoft would not have screwed this up and maybe, they will issue a fix for it to restore all the defaut windows 10 apps
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.