Nokia kicked off its global Create contest late last year and we've covered new missions kicking off as the program ran its course. Developers were invited to develop apps for a number of categories, ranging from image and photography all the way to work life. Nokia has now announced the grand winner of the Create contest, as well as winning apps for each category.
Pass the break to see who won and pick them up for your phone today!
The Grand Winner - Pikura
The Nokia Create Grand Prize goes to Pikura, but what is this app all about? It's an app and service that brings gamification to mobile photography. Enjoy capturing photos on your smartphone? Pablo Moncunill and Joe Fernández have turned mobile photography into a social game with rewards and more.
Users can create challenges (example: "take a picture of the biggest burger you can find") and anyone can participate but uploading a photo, with other users voting on submissions to determine the winning entry. It's a super neat concept and one we can see doing well with Lumia Windows Phone owners.
The team has won the following:
- An expenses paid trip for both of them to go to Barcelona to attend Mobile World Congress, where the app will be showcased and the developers will be able to network and promote Pikura.
- Nokia will produce a video promoting Pikura and will publish it on the Nokia YouTube channel for millions of Lumia users to see.
- Nokia will promote the developers on Nokia Developer channels.
- Pikura will get 4 weeks of promotion on Windows Phone Store and App Social.
- They’ll also receive a 10,000 EUR credit on Microsoft Advertising pubCenter or similar to run a campaign to promote Pikura.
Want to give it a try? You can grab Pikura from the Windows Phone Store for free.
Mission Category Winners
As touched on above, we not only have a grand winner for the contest itself, but also one winning app per-category. Here are the final winners:
- Image & Photo - Facebook Cover Cam
- NFC - Imagine Cam
- Maps & Places - Track Runner
- Music - Extreme Music
- Cross-8 - To-Do Prime
- Fun &Games - Trouserheart
- Work Life - Enpass Password Manager & Information Keeper
- Freestyle - Stylist
Each of the above winning entries will be heading to Mobile World Congress 2014 to receive further support from Nokia and co. Congratulations to all winning apps and developers.
The Cyber Monday keyboard deals you need to know about
Getting your hands on a new keyboard is exciting for PC users, and thanks to Black Friday, it's more affordable than ever before. Here's a look at the best Black Friday keyboard deals available now.
Review: Immortals Fenyx Rising a late Game of the Year contender
Immortals Fenyx Rising skyrocketed to the top of my Game of the Year list, and I think it's something a lot of people will really like.
Review: Empire of Sin combines genres to let you take over 1920s Chicago
Empire of Sin, the wildly ambitious gangster simulator from Romero Games, combines aspects of Civilization, XCOM, and a Tycoon game to let you take over 1920s Chicago. All those disparate pieces work together surprisingly well for a flavorful and complex test of strategy.
I built the best Cyber Monday PC from Amazon sales for about $830
Cyber Monday is an excellent time to grab parts for your PC. In fact, the sales were so good that I decided to build an entirely new PC.