Opera latest State of the Mobile Web Report is showcasing that the mobile web browser Opera Mini saves consumers worldwide more than $2.2 Billion each month on their mobile data bills. The benefit comes by way of Opera Mini's compression technology that reduces the size of web pages up to 90%, thus lowering the amount of data consumed. U.S. consumers could save $141 on average each month.
The Mobile Web Report provides information on the top global trends affecting the mobile web. Asides from the estimated savings, Opera makes note of the following global trends:
- In September 2010, Opera Mini had over 71.2 million users, a 7.1% increase from August 2010. Since September 2009, the number of unique users has increased 100.1%
- Opera Mini users viewed over 36.9 billion pages in September 2010. Since August, page views have gone up 9.0%. Since September 2009, page views have increased 147.2%
- Opera Mini users generated over 535.3 million MB of data for operators worldwide. Since August, the data consumed went up by 9.4%. Data in Opera Mini is compressed by up to 90%. If this data were uncompressed, Opera Mini users would have viewed over 4.9 petabytes of data in September. Since September 2009, data traffic is up 135.8%.
In the U.S. market, Opera is reporting the following growth:
- Page-view growth since September 2009: 60.1 %
- Unique-user growth since September 2009: 19.6 %
- Data transfer growth since September 2009: 65.0 %
- Page views per user: 331
- Data transferred per user (MB): 8
- Data transferred per page view (KB): 24
- Google.com, Facebook.com and Youtube.com are the top three mobile sites visited in the U.S.
I'm not sure about the $141 in savings but Opera's mobile browsers have been busy over the past year. You can find the full report here as well as Cost-Savings Calculator and growth snapshots for the countries where Opera products are used.
George is the Reviews Editor at Windows Central, concentrating on Windows 10 PC and Mobile apps. He's been a supporter of the platform since the days of Windows CE and uses his current Windows 10 Mobile phone daily to keep up with life and enjoy a game during down time.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.