What you need to know
- Outriders is a co-op looter shooter from People Can Fly and Square Enix.
- The game was heavily flawed at launch, but was still a fun title for fans of the genre and has improved a lot since.
- On Thursday, Square Enix revealed Outriders Worldslayer, a massive expansion coming to the game later this year.
- Worldslayer will add an entirely new campaign and endgame experience, new gear and progression systems, and more.
Outriders released a little over a year ago to mixed reviews and complicated reception, due to its mostly fun gameplay being overshadowed by a colossal deluge of bugs and some questionable game design decisions. People Can Fly and Square Enix have spent the last year steadily improving the game, and have now revealed what comes next for the action-adventure looter shooter.
Outriders Worldslayer is a gargantuan expansion arriving for the game on all platforms on June 30, 2022, that includes "endless" hours of fresh content for players to enjoy. The expansion, which is available as a standalone upgrade for the base game (and Xbox Game Pass subscribers) and as a bundled collection, will overhaul Outriders with new features, including:
- A standalone campaign and separate endgame system
- Players can either transfer their existing characters or start with a brand-new fully leveled character
- Brand-new gear, including weapons, armor, and new five-piece Legendary armor sets
- A new long-term progression system known as "Ascension"
- A new upgrade system known as the "PAX tree"
- The new endgame "Apocalypse System"
- And much more
When we reviewed Outriders, we called it a "genuinely fun looter shooter in spite of itself." It couldn't quite reach our list of best Xbox games at the time, but a year of steady improvement and a massive expansion may be exactly what Outriders needed to reach new heights. The expansion arrives on June 30, 2022, but players can preorder Worldslayer right now on each respective platform, which grants you a 10% discount.
Hours of fun
An upgraded experience.
Outriders Worldslayer massively expands the original title with a brand-new campaign, a separate endgame experience, new progression and upgrade systems, a plethora of new gear to discover, and much more. Outriders Worldslayer officially releases on June 30, 2022.
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription
The base game of Outriders is included in Xbox and PC Game Pass, as well as Xbox Cloud Gaming, letting players jump into the existing experience before Worldslayer releases. Subscribers will also get a discount on purchasing the Worldslayer upgrade should they want the full experience.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.