What you need to know
- Outriders is a co-op looter shooter from People Can Fly and Square Enix.
- The game was heavily flawed at launch, but was still a fun title for fans of the genre and has improved a lot since.
- On Thursday, Square Enix revealed Outriders Worldslayer, a massive expansion coming to the game later this year.
- Worldslayer will add an entirely new campaign and endgame experience, new gear and progression systems, and more.
Outriders released a little over a year ago to mixed reviews and complicated reception, due to its mostly fun gameplay being overshadowed by a colossal deluge of bugs and some questionable game design decisions. People Can Fly and Square Enix have spent the last year steadily improving the game, and have now revealed what comes next for the action-adventure looter shooter.
Outriders Worldslayer is a gargantuan expansion arriving for the game on all platforms on June 30, 2022, that includes "endless" hours of fresh content for players to enjoy. The expansion, which is available as a standalone upgrade for the base game (and Xbox Game Pass subscribers) and as a bundled collection, will overhaul Outriders with new features, including:
- A standalone campaign and separate endgame system
- Players can either transfer their existing characters or start with a brand-new fully leveled character
- Brand-new gear, including weapons, armor, and new five-piece Legendary armor sets
- A new long-term progression system known as "Ascension"
- A new upgrade system known as the "PAX tree"
- The new endgame "Apocalypse System"
- And much more
When we reviewed Outriders, we called it a "genuinely fun looter shooter in spite of itself." It couldn't quite reach our list of best Xbox games at the time, but a year of steady improvement and a massive expansion may be exactly what Outriders needed to reach new heights. The expansion arrives on June 30, 2022, but players can preorder Worldslayer right now on each respective platform, which grants you a 10% discount.
Hours of fun
Outriders Worldslayer (Preorder)
An upgraded experience.
Outriders Worldslayer massively expands the original title with a brand-new campaign, a separate endgame experience, new progression and upgrade systems, a plethora of new gear to discover, and much more. Outriders Worldslayer officially releases on June 30, 2022.
A catalog of games
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
All your gaming needs, in one subscription
The base game of Outriders is included in Xbox and PC Game Pass, as well as Xbox Cloud Gaming, letting players jump into the existing experience before Worldslayer releases. Subscribers will also get a discount on purchasing the Worldslayer upgrade should they want the full experience.
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
It's a bit of a shame there isn't a new class, but the new PAX tree should open up some new builds options for the existing four to hopefully make them feel fresh.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.