Monday night was supposed to be the end of a holiday here in the United States. Not the start of one of the biggest tech news of the year. It was just two days ago we learned of Nokia agreeing to be bought by Microsoft. Over the course of the evening and subsequent days we read, analyzed, and discussed the issue.
Over at AllThingsD.com we learn the inside story of how the Microsoft/Nokia deal came to be from Ina Fried.
We’re not going to copy and paste the article, it’s totally worth reading. But we’ll highlight a few interesting parts of how the deal came.
- It all started in January 2013 with a phone call from Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to Nokia Chairman Risto Siilasmaa
- Both Nokia and Microsoft were frustrated with the single digit marketshare of Windows Phone, despite both companies pouring money into marketing
- Four main meetings resulted in the deal
- Steve Ballmer at one point tripped over a glass table during meetings, resulted in a gash on his forehead
- Deal stalled over both sides not seeing eye-to-eye on how much Nokia was worth and the value of HERE services
It’s an entertaining read and gives a behind the scenes look at how 8 months of talks lead to this point. Hit up the source below, read it, and come back to discuss.
Minecraft Dungeons lead talks its next DLC and the future endgame
We talk Minecraft Dungeons’ recent Jungle Awakens DLC, the Creeping Winter expansion, and future endgame plans with game director, Måns Olson.
Fix up your Xbox Elite Controller with these parts
Need some replacement parts for your Xbox One Elite Controller? From new paddles, grips, bumpers, thumbsticks, and more, we have you covered.
Hands-on with Windows 10 build 20161 showcasing the new Start menu
Yesterday, Microsoft released a new build of Windows 10 that includes an updated Start menu design with translucent Live Tiles, improvements to Notifications, and behavior changes to things like Tablet Mode and the Taskbar. It's been a while since Microsoft released a build with any surface-level changes, but now it's finally happened, we're back showcasing all the changes on video.
The best aftermarket CPU coolers for AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
In order to get the most out of the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X processor, you'll need to keep it cool enough for it to work as hard as it's able. This is where a good CPU cooler comes into play and we've rounded up some of our favorites.