Two and a half weeks ago Microsoft announced their intent to buy the devices and services division Nokia. At that time, Stephen Elop stepped down as CEO of Nokia to become the VP of the devices and services division. This would allow him to move to Microsoft when the deal completes sometime in early 2014. He’s also getting a hefty payout as part of the deal. How much?
Stephen Elop is picking up $25.5 million as he leaves Nokia and joins Microsoft. Around 70% of that total will be paid by Microsoft, while Nokia picks up the remaining 30%. Which isn’t a bad sum of money at all when you remember that he earned $6.2 million when he left Microsoft for Nokia in a similar deal a few years ago.
Many have accused Stephen Elop as being a shill for Microsoft. Even though the past year of negotiations was led by Nokia chairman Risto Siilasmaa. Don’t forget to read the inside story of how Microsoft came to buy Nokia’s handset division.
Stephen Elop is now considered by many to be a front runner for the CEO position at Microsoft. In fact, he’s gone from an external to internal candidate in the hunt for the next hefe at Microsoft. What do you think of Stephen Elop as CEO at Microsoft? Good position for him or should he remain the VP of Microsoft’s own devices division when he joins? Sound off below.
Source: NY Times
Thanks for the tip Darwin H!
Update 6: Microsoft wants all of TikTok, but Trump's order may interfere
The Financial Times reports that as part of negotiations, Microsoft is now inquiring whether it can buy all of TikTok, instead of just the business in the US., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. This new plan would include India and Europe (and excluding China).
Here are tech media's hot takes on Surface Duo
Reactions to the Surface Duo after its launch earlier this week ranged from disappointed to elated. Among the media, in particular, there was a surprising amount of enthusiasm for Microsoft's dual-screen device. Here's a look at some of the chatter from around the web.
Who is Surface Duo for? Don't overthink it.
Microsoft's Surface Duo is raising lots of eyebrows, but one lingering question seems to baffle people: who is Surface Duo for? As it turns out, the answer is simple and doesn't require a lot of logic twisting. We can start to answer the question by what the head of Surface has said publicly.
These are the best gaming laptops for playing PUBG
You have a lot of options when it comes to gaming laptops for playing PUBG. Luckily, this game can run on a lot of different machines. Here are our picks for the best laptops for PUBG.