Microsoft's nearly one year old Surface 2 tablet, running on Windows RT 8.1, is the only one among Microsoft's Surface tablets to receive a firmware update today, as part of the company's monthly "Patch Tuesday" event.
Here's the change log of what's included in the update, which should be rolling out to all Surface 2 devices today:
- Surface 2 UEFI update (v4.22.500) addresses case where the battery drains under the 0% level and will not charge.
- System Aggregator Firmware update (v1.0.51500.0) increases the overall reliability and compatibility with a Surface Pro Type Cover.
- Surface Platform Power Driver update (v2.0.716.0) adjusts the minimum charge current to address the case where the battery drains under the 0% level and will not charge, and enhances the overall system stability.
- Surface Accessory Device update (v2.0.671.0) enhances the user experience with a Surface cover.
- Audio and Display driver set (v22.214.171.12422) improves sound and video display performance, and resolves the case where a display driver caused system instability on resuming the system from sleep.
- Surface Cover Click (v2.0.643.0) update enhances the user experience when connecting/disconnecting a Surface Pro Type Cover.
- Surface Type Cover Filter Device (v2.0.682.0) adds support for a Japanese Surface Pro Type Cover on non-Japanese Surface 2 models.
Microsoft released a small firmware update last week for the Surface Pro 3 that added some features to its Surface Pen. Today, Microsoft noted that while the Surface Pro 3 is not getting another update today, it will release one "in the coming weeks to further improve Wi-Fi connectivity and include other fixes."
Source: Surface 2 history
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
'Mercury' is the code name of a large Xbox Store update, coming soon
You may have seen images of an app called "Mercury" floating around in Xbox communities. Here's what it is, and what we know so far.
Minecraft Dungeons: 10 things that we'd love to see improved
Minecraft Dungeons is a great game, but as we max out the game and hit full completion, there are a few things we think could easily be improved. Here are ten of them.
How Microsoft Teams changed my football team during the pandemic
The global health crisis caused my football team's practices and season to be canceled. To continue coaching, we switched to virtual classroom sessions using Microsoft Teams.
Set up a Surface Pro workstation with one of these external monitors
The Surface Pro is great on its own, but that doesn't mean you can't add one or two external monitors to it and create a sweet battlestation. Here are the best overall picks available now.