What you need to know
- Hot on the heels of the last snapshot, we're already getting a new one for Minecraft: Java Edition.
- This one has more bug fixes and improvements, and one big change that could be exciting for some.
- Advancements (or achievements/trophies) for the Nether Update are now here, for all the completionists.
- There are 10 in total, with some changes made to older advancements as well.
It seems like just yesterday that we got the last snapshot for the Nether Update, and that's because it was literally yesterday. We're getting a new one today that has some more bug fixes, which is completely expected, as well as an cool new feature that indicates we're getting very close to a possible release for the Nether Update.
The addition is none other than advancements, or special awards players can get for completing specific tasks or goals. On Xbox these are known as Achievements, while Playstation lovingly dubs them Trophies. Whatever you call them, they're perfect for completionists and achievement hunters seeking for their next score, and gives players a reason to explore the Nether.
The new advancements include:
- Hidden in the Depths. Obtain ancient debris.
- Cover Me in Debris. Wear a full suit of netherite armor.
- Country Lode, Take Me Home. Use a compass on a lodestone.
- Who Is Cutting Onions? Obtain crying obsidian.
- Not Quite "Nine" Lives. Fully charge a respawn anchor with glowstone.
- This Boat Has Legs. Ride a strider and control it with fungus on a stick.
- Hot Tourist Destinations. Visit all the biomes in the Nether.
- Those Were the Days. Enter a bastion remnant.
- War Pigs. Loot a chest in a bastion remnant.
- Oh Shiny. Distract an angry piglin with gold.
Older advancements have been updated to incorporate new features in the Nether Update, so it's pretty safe to say that big changes are locked in at this point. Now Mojang is focused on polish, and making the Nether Update as stable as possible for the public release. Adding these advancements may not seem like a big deal, but it means Mojang is confident in all the features they're adding in the Nether Update.
Are you excited by the new advancements/achievements? Are you going to try and 100% complete them all? Sound off in the comments below!
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is a veritable, inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Play with anyone, and play anywhere.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer primarily focused on covering the latest news, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been with Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019. While originally brought on to write about all things Minecraft, Zachary has since expanded to write about practically everything that Windows Central covers. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.