What you need to know
- Windows 10 build 19030 is now available for Fast ring Insiders.
- This build contains a handful of bug fixes and improvements, but no new features.
- 20H1 development appears to be winding down as Microsoft finalizes the update.
Microsoft rolled out a new Windows 10 Insider build for Fast ring testers today. This release, which is the latest in the 20H1 development branch, pushes the build number up to 19030. There are no new features to check out here, but Microsoft has included a handful of bug fixes and performance improvements.
Notably, this build removes the build watermark from the lower-right corner of the desktop. Microsoft says it still has more work to do with 20H1, but this indicates we could be getting closer to a finalized build.
Here's a look at what's new:
Cortana on Windows (Beta)–Now with more productivity!
Earlier this week, we rolled out some changes to Cortana on Windows for Insiders in the Fast ring. As part of evolving Cortana from a general digital assistant to a personal productivity assistant that helps you in the Microsoft 365 apps, we've made several changes that will give you a glimpse into how your assistant will help you manage tasks and time and connect with people.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- The build watermark at the lower right-hand corner of the desktop is no longer present in this build. This doesn't mean we're done…
- We fixed an issue where if you started to reset your MSA pin from the sign-in screen and left it without interacting with it for some time, it would result in a black screen, requiring a reboot to recover.
- We fixed an issue that could result in night light settings getting lost on the primary monitor when the system is connected/disconnected from a secondary monitor.
- We fixed an issue that could result in an out of memory message when watching a long HEVC video.
- We fixed an issue resulting in certain apps not fully filling the screen when maximized in recent builds.
- BattlEye and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues due to changes in the operating system between some Insider Preview builds and certain versions of BattlEye anti-cheat software. To safeguard Insiders who might have these versions installed on their PC, we have applied a compatibility hold on these devices from being offered affected builds of Windows Insider Preview. See this article for details.
- We're looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- We've heard that Settings still isn't available outside of launching via the URI (ms-settings:) for some Insiders and are investigating.
- Some Insiders are reporting that after successfully installing printer drivers from the Optional Updates section, the same driver is still showing as available for install. We're looking into the issue.
- We're looking into reports of certain external USB 3.0 drives not responding with Start Code 10 or 38 after they're attached.
In addition to today's Fast ring update, Microsoft released a minor new build for the Slow ring that doesn't contain anything new. For more on the Fast ring release, you can check out Microsoft's full release notes.
Should Halo Infinite get its rumored battle royale mode?
Recently, a rumor that Halo Infinite will have a battle royale mode surfaced. Would this be a good move for Microsoft and 343 Industries to make? Here's what we think.
The Cyber Monday keyboard deals you need to know about
Getting your hands on a new keyboard is exciting for PC users, and thanks to Black Friday, it's more affordable than ever before. Here's a look at the best Black Friday keyboard deals available now.
Review: Immortals Fenyx Rising a late Game of the Year contender
Immortals Fenyx Rising skyrocketed to the top of my Game of the Year list, and I think it's something a lot of people will really like.
These are the best PC sticks for when you're on the move
Instant computer, just add a screen! That’s the general idea of the ultra-portable PC Compute Sticks, but it can be hard to know which one you want. Relax, we’ve got you covered.