Windows 10 preview build 16278 first hit the Insider Slow ring at the beginning of September, and now it's available to download as an ISO as well (opens in new tab). Though it's no longer the latest build available on the Slow ring, you can use the build 16278 ISO files to perform a clean install and start fresh.
Microsoft has started winding down development on the Fall Creators Update, and build 16278 reflects that. The build was released with several bug fixes in tow, but no new features. Here's a look at the release notes for build 16278:
- We fixed an issue where upgrading to recent flights would fail if you had a speech for a secondary language installed.
- We fixed an issue where printing from 32-bit apps running on 64-bit versions of the OS was broken when using v3 print drivers on recent builds.
- The ability to take HDR screenshots on your PC via the Xbox app has been removed starting with this build. We plan to re-introduce this feature again in the future.
- We fixed an issue resulting in drag and drop onto websites intermittently not working in Microsoft Edge.
- We fixed an issue where Microsoft Edge would crash after choosing to pin certain websites to Start.
- We fixed an issue where a tab in Microsoft Edge could get in a state where it displayed a tab preview thumbnail even though your mouse wasn't hovering over the tab.
- We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge for certain websites where after watching an embedded video full screen then using Esc to return to the page would result in the video controller no longer being visible.
- We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge where pasting an image to Imgur.com from your clipboard wouldn't work.
- We fixed an issue where the Emoji Panel's tooltips could become mixed up.
- We fixed an issue from recent flights resulting in precision touchpads potentially dropping gestures after coming out of sleep.
- We fixed an issue where the battery flyout might incorrectly show "PC not charging" while the device was changing in recent builds.
- We fixed an issue where fonts using shortcuts would become unusable and disappear from the Fonts folder.
- We fixed an issue resulting in multiple apps crashing in the previous flight if you tried to log into the app using Facebook.
- We fixed and issue where Delivery Optimization Group Policy / MDM policy for DOMinFileSizeToCache was ignored and the service defaults were used instead.
If you're a Windows Insider, you can grab the build 16278 ISO files at the Windows Insider website (opens in new tab), along with instructions on how to create your install media.
Updated September 19, 2017: Microsoft has also announced that the Windows 10 preview build 16288 SDK is also now available for developers.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Why not an ISO for the latest build 16288?
Wondered the same thing - why bother when we know 16278 is not final (Its Slow) and 16288.1 is (my best guess) the final build number for the FCU. I don't have any special insight but I havent heard about show stoppers and they stopped publishing 'Whats Broken' a few releases back, so... Seems logical.
16288 isn't final but close. It's the first build to be version 1709 and has no watermark. Wasn't 16288 released to slow ring? Seems pointless to release an older build ISO
Yes, 16288.1 is on slow ring, I downloaded it in last saturday/sunday night.
It was just a wild guess. Anyone want to take bets on what the final build # will be? 16290? 16292? 16296? I hope its an even number. Odd numbered builds just feel wrong.
i want to say in the 16300.10 range
16291 just released on Fast ring
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.