Microsoft has been busy updating the official Windows Phone website to include details surrounding new features and limitations that will be introduced with Windows Phone "Tango". LiveSide has rounded up all the restrictions that will be placed on handsets that sport 256MB RAM - the revised system requirement which will introduce low-end budget devices.
- Windows Phone Marketplace app restrictions – Some processor-intensive apps have memory requirements, and will not work on phones with 256 MB of RAM.
- Podcast Subscriptions and Video Podcasts – You won't be able to manage podcast subscriptions on your phone or watch video podcasts.
- Local Scout – You won't be able to use Bing Local Scout services.
- Fast app switching – Fast app switching (multitasking) will be disabled.
- SkyDrive automatic photo upload – SkyDrive photo automatic uploading will be disabled.
- HD video playback – Inability to play video compressed with some of the listed codecs.
- Background agents – To free up RAM for the foreground on 256MB devices, generic background agents (PeriodicTasks / ResourceIntensiveTasks) are disabled.
As well as the above limitations, there have been a number of improvements seen in previously leaked photos of "Tango" that include multiple file attachments in SMS, ability to record and send voice / video clips, and the recently revealed location services alert icon.
Microsoft has also published a new blog entry for developers, which goes into some detail surrounding the issue of optimising apps for the lower system specifications. From improving startup time and lowering memory usage to handling feature reductions. Mike Battista, who wrote the blog article, also recommends developers make use of the 256MB emulator in the SDK to test the app with identical runtime behaviour as a 256MB sporting device.
Update 6: Microsoft wants all of TikTok, but Trump's order may interfere
The Financial Times reports that as part of negotiations, Microsoft is now inquiring whether it can buy all of TikTok, instead of just the business in the US., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. This new plan would include India and Europe (and excluding China).
Apple responds to Project xCloud iOS block, Microsoft kicks back
With Microsoft's Project xCloud streaming platform locked out from iOS devices, Apple doubles down on App Store restrictions.
'The Nether Update' for Minecraft: The 1.16.2 update, and everything new you need to know
The Nether Update is the latest major release for Minecraft, and it changes everything about the fiery Nether. Here's everything you need to know.
These are the best RAM kits for your Intel Core i7-10700K
Kitting out your Intel Core i7-10700K-powered PC with some fast RAM is a sure way to get the most out of the processor. To help you out, we've compiled a shortlist of recommended RAM kits.