In a surprise announcement, Nokia and AT&T have pushed out the Lumia Black update and new OS patch (Windows Phone 8 Update 3) for the Lumia 1020. In addition, there is a new firmware release for the Lumia 1520.
The updates are now live and going out to both devices. Here are the changes:
Nokia Lumia 1020 Lumia Black (3051.40000.134x.00xx)
- Daily delighters: lock the screen rotation, close apps easily in the app switcher, use custom ringtones for messaging and mail, among other things
- Update to Nokia Camera that combines Nokia Smart Camera and Nokia Pro Camera. Available from the Store app.
- Get the latest version of Nokia Glance Screen – see quick status notifications, for example, about calendar and messaging events on the lock screen.
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE – preserve energy while staying connected via Bluetooth
- Get enriched camera performance, enhanced battery monitoring, and other stability and usability improvements
- NEW: OS build 10517
Likewise, the Lumia 1520 also received a new firmware package today.
Nokia Lumia 1520 (1028.3534.1347.2001)
- General performance and usability improvements
To get the update, dive into Settings > Phone Update > Check for Updates. You will need to be on a Wi-Fi connection to download.
These updates are only for US AT&T devices. There is no indication that these updates are going global at the moment.
Update 4 PM ET: Read our follow up article detailing all the changes on the Lumia 1020!