Have a developer unlocked phone? You can get the XAP for the YouTube app from Microsoft that was pulled by Google.
Metrotube and myTube are by far some of the best options in the Windows Phone Store right now if you want to get your YouTube on. There was a brief period of time where Microsoft’s own YouTube app was killer, before Google had it killed. Now it’s a shell of its former self and not exactly an app we’d recommend to anyone. Miss that great YouTube app that Microsoft put out? There are ways to get it back. Details below.
If you don’t remember that particular version of YouTube, check out the video above to see it in action. This YouTube was highly praised by both us and you, the Windows Phone community. If you’re missing it then our friends over at the XDA Developer Forums might have a solution for you.
You’ll need either a developer unlocked device or an interop-unlock device to install the XAP they’ve prepared over there. It’ll give that YouTube from yore that had great features like:
- Video uploading
- Pin any video, playlist, channel, and search queries to Live Tiles
- Manage your YouTube profile with your unique My YouTube page
- Manage your playlists, uploads, and video lists
- Find channels, videos, and playlists with the quick access search bar
- Share videos to your social networks, e-mail, and text messages
- Let your kids watch safe videos in Kid’s Corner and keep their own profile
The link below to the XDA forums will give you all the instructions you need to get the app up and running on your Windows Phone device. It’s not a perfect solution, but it’ll have to do until Microsoft and Google can work together.
Source: XDA Developer Forums