If you're installing today's release of build 10061 for the Windows 10 Technical Preview, you might encounter some issues along the way. Luckily, Microsoft has posted a convenient list of known issues with today's build.
Here's the full breakdown of known issues in today's release:
- We know this one will be a bit painful but there is a bug with this build in which Win32 (desktop) apps won't launch from the Start menu. The workaround is to use search to find and launch these apps and pin them to your taskbar for quick access.
- The Windows Store Beta (grey tile) and Project Spartan get unpinned after upgrading. You can re-pin them to your Taskbar from All apps on your Start menu.
- The version of the Mail and Calendar apps included in this build (17.4008.42281.0) have a known issue that causes every typed letter to appear twice. Which might be funny if it weren't so irritating. We have fixed this issue with updated versions of the apps (17.4016.42291.0) available in the Windows Store Beta (grey tile). If you don't open the Mail and Calendar apps within the first 15 minutes after logging in to your device for the first time after upgrading and your device is connected to the Internet, the apps should update automatically. You can also go into the Store Beta and check for updates manually at any time.
- Cortana will highlight things it will be able to help users with, but some of these features are not yet implemented and we are working to deliver them soon.
- There is a known issue where you might see a black screen with only your mouse cursor during login/logout. We have a fix for this coming via WU.
- Downloading music in the Xbox Music and Music Preview apps is currently broken. We also have a fix for this coming via WU.
- When you minimize an app playing audio, it may stop playing once its minimized.
- In Project Spartan, no selection highlight appears when selecting text in the address box. You can right click in the address box to cut/copy/paste and it will work as expected. We also have a fix for this coming via WU.
- Magnifier does not work when you put it into docked mode. We will also have a fix for this coming via WU.
Overall, the issues don't seem to be overly burdensome. With the exception of the bugs related to opening Win32 apps from the Start Menu and downloading music in Xbox Music and the Music preview apps, most of the issues represent minor annoyances. Be sure to let us know what you think of build 10061 in the comments once you have time to give it a go.