Star Trek Online, the free-to-play massively multiplayer PC game based on the 50-year old sci-fi TV and film franchise, has launched for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles.
The game, from developer Crytic and publisher Perfect World, has been available for PC owners since 2010. Star Trek Online is set several decades after the events of the "Prime" TV shows and movies. The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions also have some lighting and graphical enhancements compared to the PC version. Here's a quick look at its features
- Free-to-Play – Experience a triple-A MMO game for free. Play from level 1 to 60 free of charge!
- Adventure in the Final Frontier - Explore strange new worlds and seek out new life and new civilizations in a vast, expanding universe.
- You Are the Captain - Partake in epic space battles and lead away teams across unknown worlds, interacting with allies and battling enemies.
- Choose Your Faction – Fight for the Federation, Romulan Republic, or Klingon Defense Force, each with vastly different ships and tactics.
- Total Customization – Create and customize a Captain from any species in the galaxy, or even make your own! Even your ship can be customized, from color to construction.
While the game is free to download and play, it also does have optional in-game purchases. Also, be aware that the console versions do not yet support the most recent expansion pack to Star Trek Online, Agents of Yesterday, which sends players back in time to the setting of the Original Series.
The launch of the game on consoles happens to come on the same day as the premiere of Star Trek: The Original Series on television 50 years ago today. The episode 'The Man Trap' was shown on CTV in Canada two days before it premiered in the U.S. on NBC.