What you need to know
- Snapshots allow players to test fixes and changes for Minecraft before they're officially released.
- The newest snapshot, 20w30a, tweaks bastion remnants, makes respawning safer and more consistent, and more.
- It also includes lots of bug fixes and a few other minor changes to improve the experience.
Just a few hours after a beta was released for the Bedrock Edition, the Java Edition of Minecraft is getting its own beta build in the form of the 20w30a snapshot, which is a decent sized update with numerous changes. The three biggest changes include tweaks to bastion remnants, how respawning from beds and respawn anchors works, and making lanterns work underwater.
The exact detail of these changes include:
- Lanterns can now be waterlogged
- Soul Lanterns can now be waterlogged
- Tweaked the Bastion Remnant chest loot
- Chests in Bastion Remnants are now more likely to be located on top of gilded blackstone
- Respawn anchors will prioritize cardinal directions over corners
- Beds will prioritize the side of the bed the player entered from and then spaces circling around the foot of the bed up to the head of the bed
- Respawning players will now face the block that they respawned at
- Placing players onto dangerous blocks is now avoided when possible
As mentioned above, there's also a fair number of bug fixes and little improvements in this snapshot as well, aiming to make the Nether Update more stable and consistent for all players. If you're interested, you can find the full changelog here, or you can skip that and jump straight to installing and playing the latest snapshot so you can try out the new changes for yourself.
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, and Nintendo Switch. Play with anyone, and play anywhere.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Exclusive: The Falconeer is a chill blend of Star Fox and Sea of Thieves
We recently got to spend some time with the latest beta build for the Xbox Series X/S launch title - The Falconeer. Get your first look at some exclusive gameplay right here.
PS5 games prices are higher than Xbox — but is that a good thing?
Sony's PlayStation 5 reveal came with some big caveats, and one of the most overlooked ones is the fact that games will be more expensive, seemingly across the board. Should Microsoft and Xbox jump on that train as well?
Review: Gigabyte's Z490 AORUS ULTRA is a gorgeous Intel motherboard
Gigabyte's Z490 AORUS ULTRA is a motherboard you should consider for a 10th or 11th Gen Intel-powered PC. On paper, it has plenty going for it, including amazing power design and cooling, passively cooled M.2 slots and good overclocking support.
These PC accessories will turn Minecraft into a whole other experience
Jumping into the world of Minecraft? Already involved and want to ameliorate your gaming experience? Check out these awesome accessories.