20w30a snapshot for Minecraft: Java Edition's 'Nether Update' tweaks bastion remnants and respawns
Come back to life safely.
What you need to know
- Snapshots allow players to test fixes and changes for Minecraft before they're officially released.
- The newest snapshot, 20w30a, tweaks bastion remnants, makes respawning safer and more consistent, and more.
- It also includes lots of bug fixes and a few other minor changes to improve the experience.
Just a few hours after a beta was released for the Bedrock Edition, the Java Edition of Minecraft is getting its own beta build in the form of the 20w30a snapshot, which is a decent sized update with numerous changes. The three biggest changes include tweaks to bastion remnants, how respawning from beds and respawn anchors works, and making lanterns work underwater.
The exact detail of these changes include:
- Lanterns can now be waterlogged
- Soul Lanterns can now be waterlogged
- Tweaked the Bastion Remnant chest loot
- Chests in Bastion Remnants are now more likely to be located on top of gilded blackstone
- Respawn anchors will prioritize cardinal directions over corners
- Beds will prioritize the side of the bed the player entered from and then spaces circling around the foot of the bed up to the head of the bed
- Respawning players will now face the block that they respawned at
- Placing players onto dangerous blocks is now avoided when possible
As mentioned above, there's also a fair number of bug fixes and little improvements in this snapshot as well, aiming to make the Nether Update more stable and consistent for all players. If you're interested, you can find the full changelog here, or you can skip that and jump straight to installing and playing the latest snapshot so you can try out the new changes for yourself.
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, and Nintendo Switch. Play with anyone, and play anywhere.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.