Activate Cortana alpha version in India, Canada, and Australia
Earlier today, the Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 started trickling for users who are on Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers. As the Windows Phone team at Microsoft shared a few days ago, the latest update brings Cortana to China and UK in beta and to India, Australia, and Canada in India.
This early adopter program for the latter is opt-in, and gives people the option to try Cortana using English language models from the US and the UK. Let's see how we can configure it for Windows Phone devices in these regions.
Steps to activate Cortana alpha version
Essentially, all you need to do is to change your speech settings to English US or UK. If any other permutation works, let us know in the comments.
- If you've changed region or language settings previously to try out Cortana when it released for the US, revert to the original settings for your country. A restart maybe required if you change these settings. If you haven't, confirm that the settings are in order.
- Language: English (India)/English (Canada)/English (Australia)
- Country/Region: India/Canada/Australia
- If you've not made any changes before, you'd need to start here and just change your speech settings.
- Speech: English (United Kingdom)/English (United States)/English (United Kingdom)
How do you know if it works? Tap the search button, and you'll have Cortana greeting you rather than the vanilla Bing screen. The top right corner will inform you that it's an alpha version, so things might be awry or some features may not be available. Microsoft would be learning from the user behavior to improve the experience as the product evolves.
How do you find Cortana in alpha edition? Do you find any limitations or mishits? Tell us in the comments!
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in your inbox, every day!
I still get the fun stuff from Jen when I ask "Sing me a song". Anything else like weather I get the British voice.
aussies lovin the celsius down here too
1 language: English India
2 region: India
3 speech: UK This combo not working!!
its nearly enough to drive me to android
I really hope that Cortana will in the future be able to speak Czech. :)
...in beta and to India, Australia and Canada in INDIA(BETA)
Initial impressions? The level of conversation depth is staggering (only played around with that based on the weather, can't understand "how's the weather", have to use "what", however then checking other days is incredibly intuitive, I can just say, after getting that, "and Friday" and it gives me that) but there are a lot of things it still only gives a search on.
- I love how she talks more naturally in this version (e.g. the weather and in celsius.. YES!), though there's lots more robotic responses too.
- It disabled tracking of my flights! :-(... not sure why that's location dependent since it works fine tracking Canadian flights with U.S. version of Cortana.
- She's missing a lot of the quirky searches and regular searches such as "Do an impression" and "How old is Bill Gates?" again not sure why since the U.S. version worked fine.
- It's missing a lot of the Cortana animations and greetings that the U.S. version has... not sure why For an Alpha version this is great, but I switched back to the U.S. version simply because it uncessary disabled some key features I needed (e.g. flight tracking). Thankfully when I swithced back, she still remembered my flights. :-) Great job so far. I really wish we eveventually get an option change the Cortana icon to the Chinese one. It's much more fitting to the happier personality this one has.
She activates only when everything is set to US.
Wpcentral, WhatsApp,hike stopped working.. Reverted my changes fixed the issue.. I am using Cortana US as for now until MS fix this problem with Cortana alpha version..
I would like to know how this works, I updated my Lumia 525 with developer preview installed and then I completed all the steps mentioned on your post and still no luck. Also Cortana showing as "Beta" not alpha.
then I followed all the steps mentioned there. Still not got Cortana. I contacted them via chat support they said it is not available in India. I was just amazed with the two different information given by the Nokia /Windows Phone . Its misguiding. While I was chatting with their customer care executive, after sometime NOKIA Customer Care called me to inform that Cortana Alpha not available in INDIA, with an apology they accepted its a fault of developer team to put that content on website. I don't know whose fault is this but once again I got victimized by NOKIA. This not the first time this happened. With the poor service, miscommunication and faulted devices by Nokia I dealt in the past also. Here is the story:
I brought NOKIA LUMIA 925 by the end of 2013. After 6 months it suddenly got dead. Nokia was unable to respond why this happened. They replaced my NOKIA LUMIA 925 with a new one. I was happy that I got a new device without knowing it was not long lasting. Same day I brought the replaced NOKIA LUMIA 925 it started restarting again and again. Then I came to know Nokia handed me a faulted device. Again I reached them, this time again they were unable to find the fault & returned the device with an "unattemped" comment. Second time also I observed the same problem. Again I reached them, submitted device. I spent weeks waiting for my NOKIA LUMIA 925. Felt like cheated bu NOKIA. Finally they again replaced my NOKIA LUMIA 925 with a new one. God knows how long it works well. I was loyal to NOKIA since I brought my first mobile & never used any other mobile, but after going through all these experiences I will never buy or suggest anyone to buy a Nokia device in future. This might be the one of the major reason why Nokia comes at third place after Micromax and Samsung at first and second in mobile market share. #Cortana #Nokia #WindowsPhone #Lumia #Lumia 925
But now has started to showing
Speech failing to start
Any solution or will it be fixed by an update
Can we get the Cortana live tile? If yes than pls let me know how to do it. My email id is email@example.com