What you need to know
- Borderlands 3 is an open-world shooter expected to launch in September.
- The game features hilarious characters like Claptrap.
- It also contains enhanced social features like a "ping" communication system.
- Borderlands 3 is available for $60 through the Microsoft Store.
Borderlands 3 is an upcoming open-world shooter which takes place in a crazed universe. Gearbox Software hosted two panels at Guardian Con over the weekend. The conference took place in Florida and attracted numerous gamers. During the "Borderlands 3: At the Corner of Social and Streaming" panel, the developer shared new details about social features, livestreaming tools, and accessibility options.
You can read about the highlights from the event below.
- Social: Dueling is back and better than ever. Borderlands 3 features competitive multiplayer for up to four people. You're on your own so you'll have to take out your friends. The game will also feature deep integration with Discord for features like activity group-based matchmaking, asynchronous matchmaking, and more.
- Streaming: Borderlands 3 features a Twitch extensions that allows you to look through a streamer's loadout and skilltrees. Certain events are also triggered once certain conditions are met.
- Accessibility: You can fully remap controls on consoles and PC. Borderlands 3 is also compatible with the Xbox Adaptive Controller. You'll also be able to toggle auto-mantling and aim-assist options.
- Communication: Just like Apex Legends, this game features a "ping system" that allows you to communicate with one another without speaking. You can ping enemies, chests, guns, and much more.
It's great to see that social features have been enhanced this time around. The ping system should make communicating so much easier. Every game should include it because not everyone likes to talk over party chat.
Borderlands 3 takes place on multiple planets and features numerous alien vaults. It's by far the biggest Borderlands game yet, and it looks like the team has nailed it once again. There's so much to do, and given the fact that it doesn't contain microtransactions, you'll have to earn the "billions" of guns through gameplay.
Borderlands 3 runs at 4K resolution on Xbox One X, but the team also wants to give gamers the option to play it at 60 frames per second (FPS). It's unclear what the resolution will be for the "performance" mode, but playing at a higher frame rate should make the shooting feel incredible. Unfortunately, the base console is locked at 30 FPS.
Explore new worlds
Prepare for the fight of the galaxy
Borderlands 3 is more of everything that made the series so good and looks to be worth the wait. Fans will get to experience it for themselves when it releases this September.
Excellent and affordable Xbox accessories
Up your Xbox experience with one (or all) of these budget accessories, all of which are approved by the gamers of Windows Central.
PowerA Play & Charge Kit for Xbox One ($15 at Amazon)
This charging kit keeps your Xbox One wireless controllers juiced up, and it offers batteries for two controllers. At just $15, this is hands-down our favorite budget charging companion.
ElecGear 4 Port USB Xbox One S Hub ($19 at Amazon)
This brilliant little USB splitter hub attaches perfectly to the side of your Xbox One S console. It's ideal for use with chargers, controllers, headsets, and more.
Controller Gear stand ($13 at Amazon)
Proudly display your Xbox gamepads with this stylish and functional stand. The licensed design is minimalist and black, and it has a hidden storage compartment, making the price of $13 a real steal.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Dell's refreshed XPS 13 (9300) is tough competition for the Galaxy Book S
Samsung has released its ARM-based Galaxy Book S, and many are comparing it to the similarly sized Dell XPS 13 (9300). We break things down to help you make the right decision.
Microsoft's confident Xbox Series X news drip is a refreshing shift
Microsoft used to keep development pretty close to its chest, strewn through a lens of PR and over-thought marketing. Xbox seems to have turned a corner into something different.
Xbox Series X specs include 12 teraflops, confirms Microsoft's Phil Spencer
Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox, confirms that the Xbox Series X features 12 teraflops of computing power, in line with previous leaks from Windows Central.
Enhance your Xbox games with these compatible mice
With native Xbox One mouse and keyboard support, securing the right pointer could enhance your experience across a growing list of compatible titles.