Cro-Mag Rally, the first kart racer on Xbox Live, is kind of rough around the edges. Chief among its problems are the tilt controls. Currently, the game requires players to hold a virtual accelerator button while also steering by tilting the phone, unlike every other Xbox Live racing game. It’s a clunky control method and hard to get used to. On the plus side, the game is affordable and has easy Achievements.
Citizen 12, the developer who handled the Windows Phone port of Cro-Mag is taking its criticisms seriously. They’ve provided WPCentral with full release notes for the game’s upcoming patch as well as a heartfelt apology to gamers. Yes, this means I can no longer tease them about being tight-lipped.
Head past the break for the full scoop as well as exclusive screens showcasing the game’s new camera angle.
Here's what you'll find in 1.1.0:
- Lower camera for better overall car control
- Implement auto-accelerate. You no longer need to hold down F to keep going. (F is still displayed on screen though.)
- Tweak physics for cars on medium difficulty to make them a little less grippy (easier to drift through turns)
- Tweak control response curve to make it more "linear" (and thus more responsive at smaller angles off-center)
- Tweak dynamic range of the sensitivity setting. The least sensitive setting should require nearly 90 degree rotation of phone to achieve maximum turn. Most sensitive setting requires only about 30 degrees to achieve maximum turn.
- Lower maximum speed for all cars in certain tracks (the more curvy ones) in order to slow down the overall pace (and make them a little easier). Does not apply to Expert mode.
- Tweak the wall collision code to prevent certain instances of being able to go off map
The update obviously won’t fix the game’s dated looks (it’s a straight port of an older iPhone game), but it should soon be much easier to play. We’re told the rather off-looking settings screen may be fixed in a future update as well.
Cro-Mag Rally costs $2.99 and can be found here (opens in new tab) (Zune link), though you may want to wait until the patch it live to purchase it. WPCentral will let you know as soon as it goes live.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
i just cant stand how you tilt your phone it also tilts your screen .. fix that freaking system it sucks , i have to tilt my head and my phone!! BOOO!!this int KINECT .. yet...
Great to see them listen! Now why hasn't Super Monkey Ball team done the same thing and improved the controls. They would see a large increase in sales if they patched it.
That's awesome how they're listening and not just dumping the game.For that alone, I'll buy it when the patch goes live.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.