Facebook for Windows 8.1 updated with sharing options and more
The official Facebook app for Windows 8 has been updated with some exciting new features. If you're an avid Facebook fan, you'll be pleased to learn that you are now able to download photos, as well as send them in messages. Another major improvement is the share charm support, enabling other Windows apps to share content with the social network.
But wait, there's more. Here's what's new in the latest release:
- Share post through message or timeline.
- Download photos, make them as profile photo or set as lock screen options after opening picture from any post.
- Picture messages are now supported.
- Location sharing in messages.
- Share charm support to share from other Windows 8 apps to Facebook.
- Messenger only snap mode if u snap narrower than previously allowed limit.
If you've spotted something else, be sure to let us know in the comments. You can download the official Facebook app (opens in new tab) from the Windows Store. Thanks, Salman, for the tip and info!
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Rich Edmonds was formerly a Senior Editor of PC hardware at Windows Central, covering everything related to PC components and NAS. He's been involved in technology for more than a decade and knows a thing or two about the magic inside a PC chassis. You can follow him on Twitter at @RichEdmonds.
By Jez Corden
- Missing posts in news feed
- Messaging limitations e.g. stickers (they don't even show up if someone sends you one), not auto refreshing, no 'seen' status etc
- No images in comments Updates seem to have stalled. The last major features were added in August.
So having said that, if Rudy were to make the Facebook app for Windows Phone it'd probably end up with a buch of 3D flipping cards ;-)
Now that I think about it, why the hell didn't I just go to the Facebook web page??
-No adding photo on messaging
-No adding location on messaging
-No saving photos NOTHING! I wonder what made them backtrack so drastically. I feel cheated. :(