What you need to know
- Microsoft Edge testers can download a fresh update for the Dev channel today.
- This release bumps the build number to 78.0.276.2.
- There are a few new features included here, but the focus is largely on bug fixes.
A new Microsoft Edge Dev Channel update is now available for testers. Unlike recent releases, this update is mostly focused on stability improvements and ironing out a ton of bugs. There are a few new features here, however, including the ability to open items in a Collection in new tabs.
Microsoft says this will be the "final build for major version 78." In other words, expect the next release to bump the major version number to 79. Here's a full list of what's new and fixed in build 78.0.276.2:
- Added the ability to open all items in a Collection in new tabs.
- Added dark theme support to edge://components.
- Added a management policy for importing settings from another browser.
- Fixed an issue where Edge failed to update with error "failed to cache the downloaded installer".
- Fixed an issue where printing webpages failed because the print preview got stuck while loading.
- Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping favorites on the favorites management page sometimes leads to a crash.
- Fixed a crash when using InPrivate.
- Fixed some crashes when rotating PDFs.
- Fixed an issue where using keyboard shortcuts when popups are open sometimes crashes the browser.
- Improved reliability when playing videos protected with DRM.
- Fixed an issue where Application Guard sessions failed to start.
- Fixed an issue where clicking webpage controls quickly sometimes crashes the page.
- Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes when the OS data collection level is changed.
- Fixed an issue where browser UI like the video controls don't disappear when watching videos on certain sites.
- Fixed an issue where the top sites tiles on the new tab page display a different website than the one they actually link to.
- Fixed an issue where translation doesn't work on certain pages.
- Fixed an issue where the "translating" message is not shown when a page is translated.
- Fixed an issue where scrolling using the touchscreen sometimes doesn't work on certain browser UI.
- Fixed an issue where the button to close a tab isn't the correct size or shape.
- Fixed an issue where the links to apps on the browser's Apps page open the app twice.
- Fixed an issue where using shift + enter to start an installed website or app from the Apps page doesn't work.
- Fixed an issue where the eye icon to show passwords sometimes appears twice.
- Improved Tracking Prevention performance when extensions like ad blockers are installed.
- Fixed an issue where text pasted into a collection is sometimes the wrong color.
- Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping items into a collection sometimes leads to images in the collection disappearing.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where dragging and dropping an image into a collection sometimes saves a link instead of an image.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where using the scrubber to move through a full-screen video doesn't move the time properly.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where some buttons don't change state when the browser loses focus.
- Fixed an issue in some locales where certain settings aren't translated.
- Fixed some unlocalized strings in the F12 Dev Tools.
- Fixed an issue where the webpage favicon and the loading spinner appear at the same time.
- Temporarily disabled with a feature flag the cards with website info that appear when hovering over a tab.
- Removed the ability to import favorites inside an Application Guard session.
If you're already running the Edge Dev channel, you can grab this update now via the "About" section of your settings menu. If you have yet to try the new Chromium-based Edge, you can start testing it with the Beta, Dev, or Canary channel (or all three) by downloading the browser from the Edge Insider website.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Overwatch vs. Overwatch 2: What are the differences?
Overwatch 2 is on the horizon, but something a lot of people don't know yet is what you get with it that you don't (or won't) get from the original Overwatch game. Here's our guide to the differences between what you get with Overwatch and Overwatch 2.
These great Thunderbolt 3 docks turn your laptop into a desktop
Looking to make the most of your super-fast Thunderbolt 3 connection? The CalDigit TS3 Plus is our top pick thanks to plenty of ports and solid construction, but there are a bunch of other options that might better suit your needs.
Windows 10 build 19569 hits Fast ring with new icons, more
Windows Insiders in the Fast ring have a new preview build to check out today. The latest release puts the build number at 19569, and it comes alongside new icons and general changes and improvements.
Here's what you can use to block ads on Edge
Ad blockers are a wonderful thing. They do exactly what they're supposed to: block ads when browsing the web. Here's the best for Microsoft Edge.