Telstra: Lumia 920 Windows Phone demand smashes expectations
We've been publishing a number of reports covering multiple retailers and carriers where initial stock of Lumia 920 Windows Phones has sold out. It appears this is a global issue right now, but who would have thought that Nokia would have a problem of getting enough Windows Phones into the market to meet demand?
As many have correctly pointed out, we're not entirely sure just how much stock was initially provided to select partners, but the fact we're seeing said companies reveal how the handset has surpassed expectations, we'd like to believe it can only be a positive result and demand is high. We've also seen this in the US with the amount of people waiting on (and complaining to) AT&T to start shipping Lumia 920s.
Australian carrier Telstra has publicly announced their stock has exhausted. Not only that, but the network also sent a tweet that read, "we did our best but demand was beyond amazing and stock has been limited globally from Nokia." I don't believe even Nokia planned for such a reception.
It was only yesterday when we covered Telstra's stock running out after just going online. This was coupled with UK retailer Clove who has also ran out of the Windows Phones. We contacted Clove and were informed the company is really pleased with demand shown for the handset (and Windows Phone in general).
We're certainly looking forward to Nokia's financial reports to see how the new Lumia Windows Phone family fares in the competitive market.
Source: @Telstra_News (Twitter), via: WMPU
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in your inbox, every day!
Rich Edmonds was formerly a Senior Editor of PC hardware at Windows Central, covering everything related to PC components and NAS. He's been involved in technology for more than a decade and knows a thing or two about the magic inside a PC chassis. You can follow him on Twitter at @RichEdmonds.
And yes, I know that the 8X may be more comfortable to use cause it's narrow, but we already established that's a matter of preference. And I'm seriously considering switching to a blue 8X from my red brick of 820.
Less supply ► more press ► public interest ► increased demand ► increased sales long term
It depends on the product. If it is a great product it will continue selling month after launch. If it is somehting which is just vapor ware then yes you need to get it on pple hands soon before they get to know about the vapor ware. Either way, there will be new products being launched along with the 808 pure view i think in Feb. so pple will get more interested.. lets see.
Nokia is launching else where too.. I think they would ramp up demand.
AT&T (93 phones offered)
17. Nokia Lumia 920 Black (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
36. Nokia Lumia 920 White (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
37. HTC 8X Blue 8GB (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
38. Nokia Lumia 900 Cyan (58. a week ago, 45. a month ago)
39. Nokia Lumia 900 Black (28. a week ago, 59. a month ago)
48. Nokia Lumia 920 Yellow (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
53. Nokia Lumia 920 Red (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
56. Nokia Lumia 920 Cyan (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
59. Samsung Focus 2 (49. a week ago, 44. a month ago)
63. Samsung Focus Flash (72. a week ago, 69. a month ago)
70. HTC 8X Blue 16GB (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
71. HTC 8X Yellow 8GB (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
72. Nokia Lumia 820 (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
74. Nokia Lumia 900 White (35. a week ago, 56. a month ago)
84. HTC Titan (69. a week ago, 67. a month ago)
85. Samsung Focus S (71. a week ago, 68. a month ago)
HTC Titan II is not offered
Nokia Lumia 900 Pink is not offered
HTC 8X Yellow 16GB is not offered
T-Mobile (31 phones offered)
19. HTC Radar (20. a week ago, 19. a month ago)
22. Nokia Lumia 810 (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
23. HTC 8X (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
30. Nokia Lumia 710 Black (26. a week ago, 25. a month ago)
31. Nokia Lumia 710 White (27. a week ago, 18. a month ago)
Verizon (76 phones offered)
54. HTC Trophy (71. a week ago, 65. a month ago)
58. Nokia Lumia 822 White (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
59. HTC 8X Blue (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
60. Nokia Lumia 822 Black (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
HTC 8X Red is not offered
HTC 8X Black is not offered
Nokia Lumia 822 Grey is not offered
Sprint (49 phones offered)