What you need to know
- Another weekly update is now available for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel..
- This release bring Edge's dark mode to more areas of the browser, along with a handful of other features.
- The update moves Edge to version 22.214.171.124.
Another week means it's time for another new Microsoft Edge Dev channel release. This week, the update pushes the Dev channel to version 126.96.36.199 and includes the extension of dark mode for full page screens, more display languages, and more. Of course, there are several bug fixes and improvements coming along with this release as well.
The dark mode tweaks are what most people will notice first, as it has been applied to pages like your history and settings. You can also now set your favorites bar to only show icons and pin websites to the taskbar. Here's a full look at the release notes (opens in new tab) for build 188.8.131.52:
- Added an option to show only the icon for individual favorites on the favorites bar.
- Added dark theme support for full page screens (Settings, History, etc.)
- Added more languages that you can display Microsoft Edge in.
- Added the ability to choose which categories of diagnostic data are sent with feedback.
- Changed the ability to pin a website to the desktop into the ability to pin a website to the taskbar.
- Separated the ability to import cards and payment info from certain browsers away from the option to import other autofill data like names and addresses.
- Fixed an issue where navigating to a website that's saved as a favorite by typing its address into the address bar crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where opening the DevTools in an InPrivate window sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where selecting an item from the address bar dropdown sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where signing out of the browser sometimes crashes it.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to sign into the browser sometimes leaves it in a broken state.
- Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
- Fixed an issue where installation was sometimes failing.
- Fixed an issue where some favorites on the favorites bar spontaneously lost their text.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where videos on certain websites don't cause the video controls to appear on the touch bar.
- Fixed an issue where searching from the address bar doesn't work with certain search providers.
- Fixed an issue where certain context menu items were incorrectly appearing in some DevTools context menus.
- Fixed some strings that weren't translated.
- Fixed an issue where the + button to open new tabs sometimes wasn't the correct color.
- Improved drag and drop responsiveness on the Favorites page.
- Fixed some layout issues on the Extensions page when using certain localized builds.
The latest Dev channel release is available now for those who have already downloaded the new Microsoft Edge for testing. If you have yet to give it a shot, you can grab Microsoft Edge Insider releases from the Edge Insider site now. You'll have the option to either grab the Dev channel, which updates once a week, or the Canary channel, which sees daily releases.
Note that Edge is now in testing across Windows 10, Mac, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1.
Cheap PC accessories we love
Take a gander at these awesome PC accessories, all of which will enhance your Windows experience.
Anker 4 port USB 3.0 hub (opens in new tab) ($10 at Amazon)
Whether on a desktop or laptop PC, you always need more ports to connect things to. This hub gives you an additional four USB 3.0 Type A ports.
Ikea Fixa Cable Management System (opens in new tab) ($11 at Amazon)
This IKEA cable management kit is your ticket to a clean setup. It's simple and functional.
NZXT Puck (opens in new tab) ($20 at Amazon)
This clever little accessory has powerful magnets on the rear to make it stick to any of the metal panels on your PC case or anything else. It's great for hanging accessories like headsets.
Pity Edge's dark mode, much like Windows 10's, isn't a proper dark mode but a grey mode. Which is ugly AF.
They need to add an option to turn it black.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.