What you need to know
- FA new Microsoft Edge Dev channel build is now out for testers.
- This update doesn't bring many noteworthy additions, but there is a new SmartScreen feature.
- The latest version is rolling out now as build 84.0.495.2.
The Microsoft Edge Dev channel received another weekly update today, bringing another smattering of bug fixes and a handful of new features for Insiders to check out. Testers will be able to try out a new SmartScreen feature that helps block more potentially unwanted apps, along with updates to Immersive Reader and more. This release is rolling out now as build number 84.0.495.2.
Here's a look at everything that's new and fixed in this Microsoft Edge Dev channel release:
- Added the ability for Guided Switch to offer to switch to personal profiles instead of just work or school profiles.
- Added a keyboard shortcut (Alt+Shift+R on Windows) to show the options bar in Immersive Reader.
- Added support for SmartScreen to block potentially unwanted apps that are downloaded as ClickOnce or DirectInvoke applications.
- Added the ability for developers to debug Edge instances that are running in headless mode.
- Fixed an issue where right clicking the back/forward buttons to open the Travel Log crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where clicking on the link on the History management page to clear browsing data crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to Share multiple times in quick succession sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where Edge installation on Mac sometimes hangs.
- Fixed an issue where the first IE mode tab in a window sometimes hangs on its initial navigation.
- Fixed an issue where browser sign in fails because the sign in dialog sometimes doesn't appear.
- Fixed another issue where random renderer processes sometimes have high, consistent CPU use.
- Fixed an issue where pasting into text fields on webpages sometimes doesn't work.
- Fixed an issue where Edge's Taskbar shortcut sometimes disappears.
- Fixed an issue where apps appear in the … > Apps menu that shouldn't.
- Fixed an issue where the website info flyout isn't correct in Immersive Reader.
- Fixed an issue where certain address fields can't be left empty when editing an address saved in Settings even though they should be able to be.
- Fixed an issue where the on-screen keyboard sometimes dismisses other popups when it shouldn't.
- Fixed an issue where the URL shown in Immersive Reader is the webpage's original URL instead of one specifying that reading mode is currently active.
- Fixed an issue where the link to review security settings on the Sync settings page goes to the location for personal accounts even when signed into the browser with a work or school account.
- Fixed an issue where Collections exported to Word sometimes don't have the language set properly.
- Fixed an issue where Guest window tabs appeared as "InPrivate" in the browser Task Manager.
- Fixed an issue where the Find on Page popup sometimes doesn't appear when using Shy UI.
- Fixed an issue where the username displayed on the Privacy Settings page is sometimes a lot of 0's.
If you're already a Microsoft Edge Dev channel tester, you can download this release now through the "About Microsoft Edge" section of the settings menu. For more on this build, you can also check out Microsoft's full release notes. Finally, the Canary, Dev, and Beta channels are available to download from the Microsoft Edge Insider site, while the release version is available at the official Microsoft Edge site.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.