What you need to know
- A new weekly update is now rolling out for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel.
- This update mostly focuses on bug fixes, correcting several issues that could cause crashes.
- The update is available now for testers using the Microsoft Edge Dev channel.
We're midway through another week, which means it's time for another Microsoft Edge Dev testing channel. This week, the focus is mostly on bug fixes, with a few new features. Notably, Microsoft issued several corrections for bugs that could cause a crash in the previous build.
Crashes that would occur on startup, when printing, and when importing data from other browsers have all been fixed in this release. There's also a fix for a bug that would cause some 4K video content to play incorrectly. Here's a full look at the new features and fixes in this release, which comes in at build number 85.0.552.1.
- Added a New Tab Page Search Box management policy. Administrative Template updates to come later.
- Added support for the Auto Open Allowed For URLs management policy from upstream Chromium.
- Added support for the Auto Open File Types management policy from upstream Chromium.
- Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes does not open.
- Fixed a crash on startup.
- Fixed a crash when printing.
- Fixed an issue where opening the Read Aloud voice options list crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where entering fullscreen mode in an installed app or website crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when importing data from other browsers.
- Fixed an issue where certain 4K video content, such as that encoded using HEVC, doesn't play properly.
- Improved the reliability of importing passwords from other browsers.
- Fixed an issue where adding items to a Collection sometimes fails, and instead the loading spinner is shown indefinitely.
- Fixed an issue where the flag that controlled the ability to use the Block option in website Autoplay settings disappeared.
- Fixed an issue where Edge users who are signed into Windows with a work or school account sometimes don't get automatically signed into the browser with that account, which can lead to sync errors.
- Fixed an issue where PWAs or websites installed as apps sometimes have consistent GPU use even when idle.
- Fixed an issue where icons in some menus like the … menu are the wrong size.
- Fixed an issue where the New Tab page from Edge Legacy sometimes opens after an Edge update instead of the correct page.
- Fixed an issue where system notifications from websites sometimes stay onscreen indefinitely.
- Fixed an issue where the Downloads management page shows a message that a file is successfully deleted even when the deletion fails.
- Fixed an issue where autofill sometimes incorrectly suggests credentials to use in forms on websites that have never been visited before.
- Fixed an issue where autofill sometimes incorrectly suggests passwords in fields on websites that aren't asking for a password.
- Fixed an issue where the Windows Title Bar buttons sometimes appeared in a different color than the rest of the window's title bar.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where opening flyouts like the Add a Favorite flyout in fullscreen mode results in the flyout appearing cut off or incomplete.
- Fixed an issue where Edge is sometimes pinned to the Taskbar more than once on older versions of Windows.
- Fixed an issue where the Collections pane sometimes stays open when opening an IE mode tab.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to use the Audit tool in the F12 Dev Tools sometimes fails by hanging on start.
- Obsoleted the Enable Domain Actions Download management policy.
For more on this release, you can check out Microsoft's full release notes (opens in new tab), which include a look at known issues.
The Microsoft Edge Insider builds, which include the Beta, Dev, and Canary channels, can be downloaded at the official Edge Insider site. The release version is available through the official Edge website (opens in new tab).
Wish MS worked this hard and actively on improving the inconsistencies in Win10 OS User Interface😅 None the less. Edge Chromium has been one of the best MS products in past years.
Nice new update then
This build fixed many bugs but also introduced many other! It's the buggiest Dev build I've used yet.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.