Microsoft has released another new Windows Server 2019 Insider preview build for testers to check out today. The latest release ticks the build number up to 17692 and comes with a couple of new features to test, along with a list of known issues.
Microsoft Hyper-V 2019 Preview
This is the first Insider Preview of Microsoft Hyper-V 2019. Microsoft Hyper-V Server is a stand-alone product that contains only the Windows hypervisor, a Windows Server driver model, and virtualization components. It provides a simple and reliable virtualization solution to help you improve your server utilization and reduce costs.
System Insights is a new feature available in Windows Server 2019 that brings local predictive analytics capabilities natively to Windows Server. These predictive capabilities—each backed by a machine-learning model—locally analyze Windows Server system data, such as performance counters and events, providing insight into the functioning of your deployments and helping you reduce the operational expenses associated with monitoring your Windows Server instances.
- [NEW] If a system is upgraded to a recent preview release, administrator credentials do not work. Administrator accounts are not accessible, and administrator credentials do not work for elevation of privilege. This issue affects systems that were running build 17655 or earlier before being upgraded.
- [NEW] Event Viewer (eventmgr.msc) becomes unresponsive when a user attempts to view the details of an event if App Compatibility, a Feature on Demand (FoD), is installed on the system. To recover, the process (Microsoft Management Console) must be terminated.
- Docker commands may fail when run on a Windows Server container. After a Docker command has failed on an affected system, subsequent Docker commands will also fail.
- Creating or modifying environment variables by using setx on a system running Nano Server fails. On an affected system, setx requires a specific path in the registry, HKCU\Environment\, to exist by default.
- The Virtual Machine Management Service (VMMS) may experience an error, APPLICATION_FAULT_INVALID_POINTER_READ, in Cluster Manager.
- A virtual machine that uses a Microsoft Virtual BIOS may fail to start and report an error: "Failed to restore with Error 'Indicates two revision levels are incompatible.' (0x8007051A)"
- Editing or creating policies for AppLocker can cause the MMC snap-in to crash when generated rules for a packaged app.
Updated June 19, 2018: For developers, Microsoft has also released Windows 10 SDK preview build 17692.
Windows Server 2019 build 17692 is available to download now directly from Microsoft. This build is set to expire on December 24, 2018. For more, check out Microsoft's full release notes.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The games on Xbox Cloud Gaming that need touch controls
Minecraft Dungeons proved that touch controls and cloud streaming games can work, so we put together a list of the games we think need touch controls as soon as possible.
Join us LIVE for the Windows Central Video Podcast today at 2:30PM ET
We're LIVE with the Windows Central Video Podcast today at 2:30pm ET, make sure you're there!
Windows 10 October 2020 Update review: Subtle, but necessary
Microsoft's next big Windows 10 feature update is almost here, packing several notable changes and enhancements. This release is known as the October 2020 Update, version 20H2, and is the second big Windows 10 update to hit in 2020, after version 2004 which released in May earlier this year. This release is very much a continuation of version 2004, adding a few final touches and subtle...
Best Skins and Cases for Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 in 2020
The Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 is one of the best convertible laptops on the market, but what type of skin or case should you get for it? Here's what we think.