What you need to know
- A new version of Microsoft's PowerToys recently rolled out.
- The update adds the ability to view thumbnails for SVG images when searching through File Explorer.
- A long list of other improvements and fixes come with the update as well.
Microsoft just released an update to PowerToys that brings the app to version 0.57. It's a relatively minor update in terms of new features, but it does include a long list of fixes. While a minor change, the app can now preview SVG images as thumbnails when searching through File Explorer.
Here are the highlights for the update:
- PowerToys Run quality pass. Old standing issues were re-evaluated and fixed.
- Additional features and improvements were added to existing PowerToys Run plugins.
- New plugin for time and date values/information in PowerToys Run. Thanks @htcfreek!
- The PowerToys Run documentation is also receiving a required update. Thanks @htcfreek!
- We're registering svgs as a picture kind when SVG Thumbnails are enabled so they appear when searching for pictures in File Explorer.
- We've disabled PDF preview by default, given its incompatibilities with Outlook and that Edge is now being registered for previewing PDF files on Windows 10 too.
- From a coding quality point of view, every project now has code analyzer active. Thanks @CleanCodeDeveloper!
- A double click on the tray icon is needed instead of single click to open settings.
The complete changelog for PowerToys 0.57 is quite extensive and can be found on the GitHub page for the app. Most of the changes that aren't mentioned in the highlights above are relatively small or are just bug fixes.
Sean Endicott is the news writer for Windows Central. If it runs Windows, is made by Microsoft, or has anything to do with either, he's on it. Sean's been with Windows Central since 2017 and is also our resident app expert. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.