What you need to know
- Multiple reports have cited trouble within Microsoft's HoloLens division, detailing that employees are leaving for rival companies as well as that Redmond canceled HoloLens 3.
- HoloLens creator Alex Kipman told people "don't believe what you read on the internet."
- Microsoft then pointed attention toward a Forrester report indicating HoloLens 2 is a successful device that provides a great value to businesses — a report that can be read on the internet.
The HoloLens saga continues, this time with a Microsoft-circulated Forrester report that emphasizes the value HoloLens 2 brings to businesses. Microsoft's message in no way, shape, or form, addresses HoloLens 3 or any of the associated negative news surrounding the headset line.
To provide context: Recent reports stated HoloLens experts at Microsoft have been hopping ship to competitors such as Meta, as well as that Redmond canceled HoloLens 3. Each report painted a picture of the company's HoloLens division being in bad shape. In response, Alex Kipman, the creator of HoloLens, told people "don't believe what you read on the internet," pointing to previously debunked rumors to back up his claim.
Now, while Microsoft hasn't directly refuted many of the aforementioned reports' specific talking points, it has elected to help circulate a Forrester report from November 2021 showcasing how much of a value HoloLens 2 provides to businesses. Microsoft commissioned the study that led to said report. "Find out how HoloLens 2 is delivering 177% return on investment (ROI) and a net present value (NPV) of $7.6 million over 3-years with a payback of 13 months," Microsoft's message reads.
Forrester's report included the following qualitative HoloLens 2 benefit findings. The device:
- Enhanced employee experience (EX).
- Better attracted, hired, and retained employees.
- Protected health and safety by minimizing exposure to work, travel, and infection dangers.
- Bolstered disaster preparedness and continuity.
- Ensured compliance with better inspections, audits, and data capture.
- Furthered sustainability goals.
- Enhanced outcomes for customers, patients, and students.
You can view the full Forrester report (PDF) for more details on the value HoloLens 2 provides. You can also view other reports for an idea of what may be happening with Microsoft's HoloLens division.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Robert Carnevale is the News Editor for Windows Central. He's a big fan of Kinect (it lives on in his heart), Sonic the Hedgehog, and the legendary intersection of those two titans, Sonic Free Riders. He is the author of Cold War 2395. Have a useful tip? Send it to email@example.com.