Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta 188.8.131.52 tweaks more 'Caves and Cliffs Update' features
A teaser for what's to come.
What you need to know
- Minecraft is prepping its next major update, which is scheduled to arrive sometime next year.
- While full-blown testing hasn't quite begun for the 'Caves and Cliffs Update,' we have seen a handful of features be tested.
- The latest beta for Minecraft: Bedrock Edition, 184.108.40.206, makes tweaks to two Caves and Cliffs features already in testing.
- There are also some bug fixes and parity changes here, on top of the tweaks made to goats and powder snow.
Minecraft just dropped a relatively sizeable update yesterday, especially for Windows 10 players, but that doesn't mean Mojang Studios is done for the week. Rolling out to beta testers on Xbox, Windows 10, and Android right now is the latest Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta, 220.127.116.11. This beta features a handful of bug fixes and changes but mostly focuses on tweaking a few experimental features that have been in testing before the full Caves and Cliffs Update begins beta testing in earnest.
The Caves and Cliffs Update is the next major update for Minecraft, following the already-huge Nether Update, which is scheduled for release sometime in Summer 2021 with massive feature additions and changes. Two features planned for the Caves and Cliffs Update, goats and powder snow, are already present in Minecraft: Bedrock Edition betas through the experimental features toggle in settings, and they're getting some changes and tweaks in this beta.
Minecraft is one of the Best Games for Kids, but it's also just a great game in general. If you want to make sure you have plenty of space for Minecraft and all of your maps, consider one of the Best External SSDs for Xbox Series X|S, which are perfect for storing backward compatible games like Minecraft.
The full changelog for beta update 18.104.22.168 includes:
- Pouring water on Top Snow no longer creates snowballs
- Using bone meal in warm ocean biomes now only generates sea grass, coral, and coral fans
Caves and Cliffs Update
- Goats should no longer set ram attack position to unreachable block behind obstacle
- Goats no longer have problems moving up full blocks when tempted or to reach breed partner after
nearest_attackable_targetstate is triggered
- Goat no longer jumps onto magma blocks
- Goats can now jump to several non-full blocks like slabs and stairs
- Game no longer crash after goats are killed by shulkers
- Goats no longer have problems pathing to each other to breed
- Goats on leads now correctly follow the player
- Goats now only spawn one baby at a time
- Goats no longer attack armor stands
- Creepers no longer attack back after being rammed by a goat
- Goats no longer overshoot or undershoot their jumps
- Goats can now always correctly be attacked after jumping
- Goat no longer perform radically high jumps
- Goats no longer miss motionless players when they perform their ram attack
- Goats now only drop 2 horns each, and the number of horns left to drop is represented on the model
- Baby goats knockback their target a shorter distance
- Ram knockback distance is dependent on speed
- Goat now knockback the first target it intersects
- Goat now tries to retake target that moves from its ram attack for a short amount of time
- Goat now flip their knockback target slightly higher in the air
- Ram attack check the path based on the height of the mob that is ramming
- Goat no longer jumps from honey
- Baby goat does not jump as far as adults
- Goat should only very rarely jump to flat planes
- Goat no longer jump if they are moved from their starting position.
- Goat spawn egg colors have been updated
- Goat model has been updated to have correct rotation for its head.
- Goats now have a minimum ram distance and now tries to find a ram-position in between the minimum ram distance and the maximum ram distance, preferring further distances
- Goats can now go through non-solid blocks (like grass and flowers) when they ram
- The shield now grants partial knockback protection from the ram attack
- Powder snow blocks now show the block breaking animation when being mined
- Powder snow block are no longer transparent when looked at through clouds
- Updated outdated loading screen tips
- Mining a Crimson Hyphae with Silk Touch now returns a placeable block
- Fixed a bug where parrots could fly upwards indefinitely
- Zombie villagers spawned from zombie spawners on Marketplace worlds that were created after version 1.11 now correctly spawn as V2 zombie villagers. When cured, they will now correctly turn into V2 villagers
- Horses, Donkeys, Mules, Skeleton Horses, and Zombie Horses can now properly be given custom names, and identified using their respective "runtime_identifier"
- Fixed an issue with maps rendering over transparent objects when attached to item frames in RTX worlds
- Reduced ghosting of fish when viewed through the water with DLSS enabled
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, and Nintendo Switch. Play with anyone, and play anywhere.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.