What you need to know
- Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w13a is the latest pre-release build under The Wild Update.
- The latest snapshot includes the allay mob, Ancient Cities structures, and a host of technical changes and fixes.
- The allay is the headling feature of this snapshot, debuting in Java Edition as a friendly mob that loves to collect its favorite items.
- Ancient City structures also return from the experimental snapshots with plenty of tweaks and updates.
Just in time for the end of the month, Mojang Studios has released a new Minecraft: Java Edition snapshot for the week with new features from The Wild Update and the Java Edition debut of the adorable and helpful allay mob. Mojang Studios also packed in plenty of technical updates and bug fixes into this release for players to explore.
Shortly after the release of the latest Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta, Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w13a arrives as the newest addition to the quickly growing list of The Wild Update snapshots. In this release, the allay mob finally makes an appearance in the legacy version of Minecraft, and is eager to be your friend, collect similar items to that which it holds, and fall in love with note blocks.
This snapshot also includes an updated version of Ancient Cities, which can be located in the spooky Deep Dark biome, and lots of other various changes and tweaks. Being one of the best PC games means a lot of responsibility, and Mojang Studios ensures Minecraft: Java Edition lives up to the task with regular updates and improvements.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w13a includes:
- Added Allay mob
- Added Ancient Cities
- Allays will collect all the surrounding items that match the item they are holding
- Allays will like a player who hands them an item and will bring the items they collect to their liked player
- If the Allay hears a noteblock play, that noteblock becomes the Allay's favorite noteblock for 30 seconds. The Allay will stay near that noteblock for that duration and bring its collected items to the noteblock instead of to the player
- Interacting with an Allay with an empty hand will remove the item the Allay is holding
- Allays can be found in Pillager Outposts and Woodland Mansions
- Wander the halls of these long-abandoned structures in the Deep Dark depths to uncover some relics long forgotten
- Ancient City structures spawn in the Deep Dark biome
- In chests, guarded by sculk sensors and shriekers, you can find the new Swift Sneaking enchantment
- You can also find a new mysterious block called Reinforced Deepslate here, which cannot be obtained in Survival
- Mobs cannot spawn in Ancient Cities
- Differences compared to experimental snapshots:
- Many adjustments have been made to Ancient Cities, with new and tweaked structures
- Loot tables have been adjusted for Ancient Cities, including a separate loot table for the "ice box" structures
The recipes for minecart with chest / furnace / TNT / hopper are now shapeless When broken each minecart variant drops itself as an item, instead of splitting into two items (such as chest and minecart) Only wool and wool carpets now block the sounds coming from noteblocks
- Sculk shrieker block state changes
- Renamed some game events
- Triggered when a player kills an entity next to Sculk Catalyst
player— a player for which this trigger runs
entity— a predicate for the entity that was killed
killing_blow— a predicate for how the entity was killed
can_summonblockstate to the Sculk Shrieker that determines whether a Shrieker can summon a Warden or not
- Shriekers placed via
can_summonset to true
- When a Shrieker is placed or generated via Sculk spread,
can_summonis set to false
- Some game events have been renamed, with some of those changes to make them more gramatically consistent:
- The following events have been collapsed into
- Other miscellaneous changes to game events:
ring_bellhas been removed and replaced with
shulker_closehave been removed in favour of using
fishing_rod_reel_inhave been renamed to
ignore_vibrations_on_occluding_blockgame event tag with subsequent logic
entity_interactshould be dispatched more often when interacting with various mobs
- Z-fighting can be seen on the underside of frogs' feet
- Z-fighting textures inside the frog's mouth
- Frogs spawn with wrong color in some biomes
- Frogs are not required to be bred for the Two by Two advancement
- Dispensing a Bucket of Tadpole dispenses the item, instead of water with a tadpole
- The locks of chests within chest boats are positioned slightly too high
- Boats with chest do not drop items contained in chest when destroyed in Creative
- GUI Scale is a slider instead of a button
- Options have missing or untranslated names
- Bottom face of Warden's right arm missing in
- Game crash regarding warden
- Boats with Chest aren't grouped in the recipe book
- chatScale option defaults to 0.0 instead of 1.0, causing chat to disappear
- Furnaces, blast furnaces and smokers don't cook without fuel in the bottom slot, even if they are already fired up
- Four-legged mobs do not sit correctly in a boat with a chest
- Wardens can't pass over rails
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, Xbox Game Pass for Xbox consoles and PC Game Pass for Windows devices, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go fun. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.