What you need to know
- The 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part One officially launches for Minecraft on June 8, 2021.
- Ahead of the official release, Minecraft: Java Edition is finalizing the update with pre-release snapshots.
- Minecraft: Java Edition Pre-Release 2 for the 'Caves and Cliffs Update' is now available with a handful of bug fixes.
- Don't expect any new features or major changes anymore, as Mojang Studios works on polish and minor improvements.
The Caves and Cliffs Update for Minecraft is right around the corner now, and Mojang Studios is working on the final polish and tweaks with Minecraft: Java Edition Caves and Cliffs Update Pre-Release 2 snapshot rolling out right now to Minecraft testers. As expected so close to the release of the Caves and Cliffs Update Part One, this snapshot only includes a handful of important bug fixes and no new features or additions. Don't expect any major or exciting developments until work begins in earnest on the Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two (releasing sometime in Winter 2021).
Earlier today, Mojang Studios announced that the Caves and Cliffs Update for Minecraft officially releases on June 8, 2021, which falls in line perfectly with the newly launched Minecraft: Java Edition pre-release snapshot (and the one that came before it). Mojang Studios is making sure everything is as polished as possible all the way up until the first half of the Caves and Cliffs Update is officially here for Windows PCs, macOS, Linux, Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and mobile devices.
If you're excited for the upcoming Caves and Cliffs Update for Minecraft, be sure to check out list of the best Minecraft merch, toys, and gifts for the best ways to celebrate.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition Caves and Cliffs Update Pre-Release 2 includes:
Caves and Cliffs Update preview
- Download the new datapack
- Smooth lighting doesn't work properly underwater
- Arrows fired into the side of bamboo or pointed dripstone never despawn
- Smooth lighting behaves oddly on blocks covered with tinted glass
- Flowering azalea leaves ID is unintuitive
- The ExplosionPower of ghast fireballs is uncapped, causing a freeze / crash
- Glowing translucent entities often don't merge their outlines with other glowing entities
- Tnt can be pushed with enchanted sword with knockback
- Slimes and Magma Cubes not interacting with player
- Nether Fossils generate on the nether roof above bedrock in soul sand valleys
- Facing away from signs with glowing text makes the text disappear or z-fight
- Unknown CPU on Debug menu.
/debugstart does not work as described