What you need to know
- Minecraft is getting a combat overhaul.
- You can test out some of the changes in the Java Edition today.
- Minecraft is part of Xbox Game Pass.
- You can purchase Xbox Game Pass Ultimate through the Microsoft Store for $1.
Minecraft has become a cultural sensation over the years, and now reaches over ninety million gamers every month. Mojang has released a number of updates which have added tremendous depth to the experience. Despite these changes, combat remains a sore sport for many gamers, especially newcomers. Luckily, the team is working hard to address this problem.
In a post on Reddit, Mojang's Jens Bergensten — also known as "Jeb" — said that major changes were coming. You can read part of his statement below.
Main issues with Java
- Combat is too slow for player vs. player (PvP) encounters.
- Damage per second is too low to beat regenerating items.
- Combat is too hard for new players to understand.
Main issues with Bedrock
- Combat is tedious on a controller.
- Almost all weapons are too similar.
- Armor is unbalanced and somewhat broken.
- Way faster attacks.
- Attacks only happen when your weapon is fully charged.
- You can hold to attack.
- Now weapons have different reach.
- When you stop attacking, the attack timer will continue charging.
- At 200 percent you can perform special attacks that have longer reach.
- Sweeping only occurs on swords with the enchantment.
- Critical attacks bypass shields because they're so powerful.
- Shields have no delay anymore.
- Shields can be used when crouching.
- If you hit something, the enemy's invulnerability timer will be shorter with a quick-attack weapon.
If you want to check out the changes today, you have to download the Java Edition file here. Installing it is a little tricky though. You'll want to unpack the folder into your local Minecraft "Versions" folder. You can find the Minecraft folder by pressing "Control" plus "R" and typing "%appdata%/.minecraft" into the box. After that, all you have to do is create a new launch configuration and select the "1_14_combat-212796" version.
Hopefully this new version will fix the combat issues. While you shouldn't expect radical changes which completely change the feel of the game, they should make the experience more fair when you're engaging other players in PvP. What else do you think Mojang should fix? Let us know.
Find those diamonds
Minecraft for consoles and PC
Can't wait for Minecraft Earth? Give the good old PC and console version a try, available at the Microsoft Store for both Xbox One and Windows 10.
Awesome Minecraft merchandise
Minecraft Sprites Premium T-Shirt ($19 at Amazon)
Show off your Minecraft pride with this premium tee from Jinx, showcasing many of Minecraft's iconic mobs.
Minecraft Lego: The End Battle ($20 at Amazon)
Who doesn't want a Lego Ender Dragon?
Minecraft for Nintendo Switch ($30 at Amazon)
Minecraft for Nintendo Switch features full cross-play between Xbox, Windows 10, mobile phones, and even VR!
Minecraft shades ($8 at Amazon)
You might think you're cool, but as you cool enough to wear these?
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Asher Madan handles gaming news for Windows Central. Before joining Windows Central in 2017, Asher worked for a number of different gaming outlets. He has a background in medical science and is passionate about all forms of entertainment, cooking, and antiquing.