For those in the media with Windows Phones or the few of you industry folks who are headed to the massive Mobile World Congress in Barcelona at the end of the month, you’ll want to grab the new official Windows Phone 8 NFC Badge App.
The GSMA Press Office just sent out an email for Android and Windows Phone users on how to get the app and enable the pass features. Starting last year, physical badges for MWC had an NFC chip in them and this year they’re going a step further by using NFC-enabled apps. The pass is necessary to get in to the tightly secured event which attracts nearly 60,000 attendees over a few days.
With the NFC app, you’ll be able to
- Validate your badge against Photo ID one time only, after which you may enter the event without further ID checks
- Pass through dedicated NFC Badge entrance lanes at the North and South Entrances
The app is easy enough to use. Simply download and enter your registration information, then upload a nice “Passport quality” photo. The rest of the validation will have to wait until you arrive on scene and pick up your physical badge:
- Once registered (and in receipt of your Final Confirmation) download the Android 4 or Windows Phone 8 (WP8) NFC Badge app. The NFC Badge app is also embedded in the Android version of the GSMA app
- Log into the app using the same username (email) and password you used to create your GSMA Staff registration account
- Upload a passport quality photo of yourself to your NFC Badge
- You will be asked to show your photo ID upon collection of your physical badge, to validate your photo in the app and to confirm your identity
- Once your photo is validated, you may use any of the NFC Badge access lanes at the venue and enter the event without having to repeatedly show photo ID
- The application will show the status of your badge as red, amber or green - with green meaning fully validated and OK to use without your ID document.
- Please note that the NFC Badge is only valid with a physical badge
Kind of a neat thing to have and we’re sure to make use of it. It’s also nice because this is the first time the GSMA has made an official Windows Phone app of any kind for Mobile World Congress. Here’s hoping that an official event app with maps is also forthcoming.
You can pick up NFC Badge (GSMA) here at the Windows Phone Store.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Microsoft's cloud will power CES 2021
CES is going all-digital next year, and it's tapping Microsoft to power the experience. Microsoft and CTA announced today that Microsoft services like Teams, Azure, and Power Platform will all be used to put together next year's show.
Xbox Smart Delivery Games List
The full list of Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S titles committed to Smart Delivery support, and other free visual upgrade offers headed into next-generation consoles.
Xbox game store pages are still a nightmare for non-English speaking users
Microsoft's push for global gaming is still set back by this basic feature disparity.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.