Every weekend, Windows Central livestreams an Xbox One or Steam game for 1-2 hours and gives out free games to the cool people who join us during the stream. It's like a live podcast, only you also get to watch a game while chatting with our awesome readers and viewers! We call this show Saturday Game School, because learning about new games is always fun.
Tonight on Beam, we played Neverwinter: The Cloaked Ascendancy, the latest expansion of the free Dungeons & Dragons MMO from Perfect World. Read on for quick impressions of the new expansion, contest winners, and the full video replay.
Neverwinter: The Cloaked Ascendancy
Neverwinter is a free-to-play Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) based on the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons universe. Players will team up to battle against Valindra, a powerful Lich, the Demogorgon, a fierce two-headed demon, and other monstrous foes who threaten the peaceful city of Neverwinter and surrounding lands.
'The Cloaked Ascendancy' is the latest free expansion for Neverwinter. It begins with the people of Neverwinter celebrating the recently reopened River District, an area previously destroyed by the eruption of Mount Hotenow.
Before the festivities can properly kick off, a mysterious band of mages known as the Cloaked Ascendancy attacks and demands that Lord Neverwinter give up his throne. Players must help extinguish the dark mages and save not only the River District, but all of Neverwinter!
'The Cloaked Ascendancy' expansion includes:
- New Adventure Zone: Following its recent reclamation, the River District becomes home to the Cloaked Ascendancy, with various areas reflecting the mage occupying them.
- New Campaign: Reclaim the River District from the Cloaked Ascendancy one quest at a time to help return it to the bustling economic center it was before the eruption of Mt. Hotenow.
- Spellplague Caverns Dungeon: The Cloaked Ascendancy culminates in a return to an original Neverwinter location for a master dungeon where players will face off with members of the Cloaked Ascendancy. Both the new master and returning levelling versions of the dungeon yield new loot.
- New Skirmish: The Illusionist's Gambit offers a dynamic challenge for both max and low-level adventurers. Enemies, settings and challenges will shift randomly each round, creating new experiences every playthrough.
- New Artifact Weapons: Players can earn four new weapon sets harnessing the power of the Cloaked Ascendancy mages. Harness the power of the Far Realm with the Mirage, Fey, Lifeforged and Aboleth weapons.
The Cloaked Ascendancy is an exciting expansion that delves into the history of Neverwinter itself, and we'll show you the opening moments. Neverwinter is free to play and quite fairly monetized, so don't miss out on the adventure!
Join the Windows Central Neverwinter Guild
Guilds are a huge part of the Neverwinter social experience, providing a valuable source of players with which to team up and chat. All guilds allow access to the Guild Stronghold, a base of operations from which members can access their mail, banks, and more. And high level guilds offer unique benefits such as access to exclusive items and Boons (massive stat boosts).
Naturally Windows Central has an established Neverwinter Xbox One guild, and we'd love for you to join! We prefer players to be level 60 or higher. You must be an active player (playing multiple times per week), participate in Guild Chat, and donate regularly to the Guild Coffer (which helps us level up the guild and build new structures).
To join, send EastX a message on Xbox Live with your character's name, class, and level. Be sure to leave your old guild if you're in one. And see these resources:
- How to join a Neverwinter Guild
- Windows Central Neverwinter Guild Forum thread
- Neverwinter Chat Guide
- Neverwinter Leveling Guide
We look forward to questing with you! Remember, Neverwinter is free (with in-app purchases) so that anyone can experience this massive social role-playing adventure.
We streamed Neverwinter: The Cloaked Ascendancy for ~75 minutes tonight. During that time, we gave out a total of 50 Neverwinter prize codes:
- 25 Chartreuse Unicorn Mounts for Xbox One
- 25 Cerulean Unicorn Mounts for PlayStation 4 (North American accounts only)
These mounts provide a 50 percent speed bonus and 2 Insignia slots. Plus, they look pretty cool.
See contest winners at the end of this story.
How to watch Beam livestreams
We're now streaming on Beam, Microsoft's interactive livestreaming platform. It provides some welcome improvements over Twitch, such as a cleaner website layout, built-in stream interactivity, and extremely low latency.
You can follow our channel at Beam.pro/WindowsCentral. From there, you'll be able to watch the stream and participate in chat directly from any web browser, including the Windows Phone browsers.
To receive email notifications when our Beam streams go live:
- First, follow our channel.
- Now select your profile from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Pick the Account option near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to the Notifications tab.
- Make sure Send me important email updates on the Beam platform is enabled. This option is labeled deceptively, but it's required for all forms of email notifications.
- Click or tap the Email box next to our channel name until a check appears. That's it!
- We highly recommend that you set a recurring alarm on your phone. Our weekend stream always starts at the same time (9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific), so the phone reminder can be very helpful.
Want to know what's next for Windows Central's weekend Beam programming? We stream a different game every Saturday (and sometimes Sunday). The stream always starts at the same time: 9pm Eastern (8pm Central, 6pm Pacific, 1am GMT). Over the next few weeks, we'll be streaming the following (schedule not finalized):
- April 29: Star Trek Online from Perfect World. Win an exclusive T6 Khlinae-class battlecruiser for the Xbox One version of this free to play Star Trek-themed MMO!
We hope you'll tune in as often as you can! Set a recurring alarm on your phone so you'll always know when it's time for the stream to start.
These winners are going to be farting rainbows.
Tonight's prizes provided by Perfect World Entertainment. Thanks also to our stream moderators for keeping the peace and giving away the prizes!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Check out they new HyperX Cloud Revolver + 7.1 gaming headset
This new headset from HyperX complements its Cloud Revolver lineup. It's a high-end option with virtual 7.1 surround sound and robust audio.
Review: Twin Mirror, the first self-published game from Dontnod, is a miss
Twin Mirror follows the standard Dontnod formula with some twists, but it ultimately fails because of its lackluster and selfish lead character.
Dragon Quest XI Xbox review: Old school JRPG fun fun for a new generation
The legendary Dragon Quest series has finally made its Xbox debut. Can it win the hearts of an entirely new generation of gamers? Let's find out.
Plow through enemies with these great beat 'em ups for Xbox
Feel the urge to unleash some pent up frustrations on armies of bad guys? Here are some of the best beat em' ups and hack n' slashes to bring your much-needed catharsis.